89 NA to 1j Tach issues, help please!

Alltoy4me

Nov 5, 2007
Nashville
I've searched and tried several things, just can't get it to work. I have the NA tach in and the MSD 9210 converter with it wired to RPM1 on the ecu and then the output to my black tach wire to the dash. I have very little movement on the tach (under 1k when I give it good throttle). Maybe I have the converter hooked up the wrong way, for the other type of signal? I also plugged in my old HKS super AFC and it shows like 120 rpm around idle. I tired wiring it up to RPM2 and it shows like upper 20 rpm. Do I need to jump the resistor now on the back of my tach, or try a different wire to tap on to for my signal? Any thoughts?

Alltoy4me

Nov 5, 2007
Nashville
I haven't, I have only jumped it before I put on the msd converter with no change. Figured the convertor would allow me not to have to mess with that anymore.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Buying a turbo tach is cheap.

Tach adapter should work tho. Turbo tach is prolly cheaper and easier tho.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
When I did my swap I tried a 7MGTE tach in my NA cluster and it didn't work. I ended up installing a turbo cluster and then it did. You should be able to get a whole cluster from a self service wrecking yard for under 40 bucks.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
With the 7MGTE tach, you need to swap in a 100k resistor in place of the 130k for the 1JZ's rpm to read correctly.

Something else I found out is that Airbag and non-Airbag clusters are not compatible if you're swapping clusters.

Alltoy4me

Nov 5, 2007
Nashville
Thanks for pinching in on the info, guess I'll start my look for a tach/cluster. Would've never guessed the airbag would have made a difference. I haven't seen a turbo supra in a car yard for a good while.