89 NA tach on a Turbo 88 supra

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
i need to know how to get my tach working asap, what do i need to do, all the guages work but the tach

the cluster is a 89+ my car is a 88 supra, all plugs went in fine do i need to switch out my turbo tach elctronics in to the 89 cluster ?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
ATL88Supra;999805 said:
i need to know how to get my tach working asap, what do i need to do, all the guages work but the tach

the cluster is a 89+ my car is a 88 supra, all plugs went in fine do i need to switch out my turbo tach elctronics in to the 89 cluster ?

i think thats the easiest way :)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Yes, that's what you need to do. You can take the driver board from your tach and install it onto the '89+ tach.

NOTE: The instrument itself may have some variances. My tach now reads low, and if I rev it to an indicated 6,000 RPM, I'll hit the rev limiter, which I believe to be at 7,000 RPM. Therefore I never take my car over an indicated 5,500.

This is with an '89 NA tach with an '87T driver board.

When I installed the '87T tach with the '89NA needle and face, the tach would indicate 8,000 RPM at what SOUNDED LIKE 6,500.

Using a calculator for speed/RPM using the 3.909:1 diff and 225/50R16 tires, and using 4th gear (1:1 gearing) at speed (verified by GPS) indicates that my tach is now reading about 18% low, which is about what I expected, given the evidence. I did not run the same test with the other tach, though I still have it, and may try it again one day.

I surmise that the '87T tach may be balanced for the needle that came with it, and the '89 style needle has a different balance, which may be throwing the instrument off. This does not, however, explain the error with the '89 instrument, unless there's also a change in the driver board. I don't know for sure, but I'll eventually want to replace my tach with an accurate one. In the meantime, mine works, and I can "translate" it to reality fast enough for the only thing that really matters: Redline.