89 harness and ecu to 87 body?

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
Bought a jdm 89 turbo to use in a 87 na and I know I have to splice harness for my left drive car, but can I use the grey plug ecu and harness that came with the new engine and plug into the stock dash harness without issues? One member has helped to the limit of his knowledge and thinks not, but dealer mechanic who has put these engines into pickups and other says it should work. My car was a na/auto, but new engine, ecu and harness are turbo/auto being used with 5 speed. I have already jumped the neutral safety switch and can do nice splice/solder job, but any other issues? Thanks, and no offense to other member, just want all the info I can get.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
lewis15498;1448343 said:
I think the body plugs are different. What you can do is take the body plugs (just the plastic) off both harnesses and repin the old plugs to the new harness.

:word8kn: its a bitch, but it works.

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
No, no response from anyone on this issue which seems to come up quite often. My plan is to splice (lenghten) my jdm harness and try the ecu that came with the engine. Main concern is will the dash harness/instruments work? Several other projects have kept me from doing this, but soon, and I will take photos and post results.

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
Can't remember if I ever responded to you, so... I have bought an 87 m/t harness as advised by others as well as 87 turbo ecu. Splicing the jdm unit seemed ok until I got to the big shielded wires (knock sensors?) and realized getting the shielding right might be impossible. Problem now is I have one plug (brown 2 wire) near and in front of throttle body that seems extra. Also, my jdm engine came with no egr system, so I'm trying to decide what to do; use my old stuff or not run one. No smog inspection here, so I can forget it, but being a tree hugging lizard kisser I may want to be as clean as possible. I have been told the 89 harness would work, just re-pin the body harness plugs, but of course no idea how to do this. If you need an 89 grey plug ecu and butchered harness let me know, lol. best wishes, RF