89 7MGTE Stutters under light load when cold

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Hello all,
Before I get into detail of the problem, heres the history of my car: 1988 NA/AT with an 89 Turbo/5Spd. I bought a new wire harness and changed the HG, and I am very sure that this problem is not related to the HG job, I have faith in the work done to it, but who knows. My Cold start temperature switch is unplugged because it is not functioning properly.

Now the problem: When I put the car in gear when it's cold it stutters. It moves forward, but it feels like the engine is coming on and off of the throttle on it's own very slightly. Enough so that it is noticable, but it's not voilent or undriveable. Once the car warms up the problem is gone entirely. Could this be because of the unplugged sensor? Any help or a point in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks,
Shawn

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
If I read that right he's referring to the cold start injector thermo-time switch and not the EFI coolant sensor. If so a disconnected TTS wouldn't cause this symptom. Besides, it only receives power during cranking. That said it could be the EFI coolant sensor delivering a lack of cold enrichment. However if the coolant temp sensor is bad cold idle speed control will also be bad so if cold idle is high and comes down like normal the CTS is good. The problem could be anything from misfire to a screwy AFM. It's not the TTS thingy though.