'88 vs. STi/Modded WRX

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Well FINALLY i've had a half decent race tonight. Coming home from the bowling alley i went out to do some runs by myself near a locat Sheetz. When you pull out of sheetz there is a mini on ramp that i take off at. i waited for a stream of cars to go by in hopes of any potentials and little did i know i saw a nice looking black V-8 'stang w/upgraded exhaust is all i could tell. A few otehr cars passed as well. I pull out and gun it for fun and to try to go fishing for the mustang by blowing off by cars i go by :biglaugh: . Anyway, mustang never wanted it, however i didn't realize i blew by some type of WRX. Completely debadged and wingless, so i had no way of knowing what it really was but based on my mods i assume STi quality.

Well we start to play a bit but were never really on time with the start of the race from about 50MPH roll. after some messing around we Finally get it right, going downhill adn around a steady bend eventually. I was in 3rd at about 4K and we both gun it. I pulll a hood length easily and hit fourth which i continue to pull at a steady place till he's at the end of my car :evil2: . There were cars ahead surprisingly at 1230AM and we had to cut things short. I was hoping he'd follow me to a better place to run but he ended up turning off :3d_frown:

At the time i was at about 11PSI stock CT and have some type of acceleration problem which im stumped on which causes me to have what feels like a miss or on and off power.

I currently posted up on a local forum if anyone knows him and what the specs of his car are. If i find out i will post them here.

Snotcycle

Jul 16, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
IwantMKIII said:
At the time i was at about 11PSI stock CT and have some type of acceleration problem which im stumped on which causes me to have what feels like a miss or on and off power.
good kill, i ran sti with a catback when i had 3in turbo back and walked him all the way to 125, good race.

The power problem sounds like ignition check your plugs and wires, are they stock? if so run 1-2 heat ranges colder and get some beefy wires. otherwise check all your sensors and CEL.

I'm interested in helping you troubleshoot that problem because i want all mk3's reppin hard, stompin em all.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Snotcycle said:
good kill, i ran sti with a catback when i had 3in turbo back and walked him all the way to 125, good race.QUOTE]

are you serious? how much boost were you at... about the same as iwantmkiii, 11-12 psi? damn now i wanna pull on my friend's '02 Impreza.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
87mgte said:
Snotcycle said:
good kill, i ran sti with a catback when i had 3in turbo back and walked him all the way to 125, good race.QUOTE]

are you serious? how much boost were you at... about the same as iwantmkiii, 11-12 psi? damn now i wanna pull on my friend's '02 Impreza.

I pull on my friends WRX at 20 PSI with full intercooler exhaust and intake.

Im at 11 PSI on stock CT with intake/exhaust and a few other things

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Starting at 50 the WRX had no chance. Nice kill.

Sounds like you've got some bad plugs. I pulled mine shortly after I got the car and the stumble went right away.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Snotcycle said:
good kill, i ran sti with a catback when i had 3in turbo back and walked him all the way to 125, good race.

The power problem sounds like ignition check your plugs and wires, are they stock? if so run 1-2 heat ranges colder and get some beefy wires. otherwise check all your sensors and CEL.

I'm interested in helping you troubleshoot that problem because i want all mk3's reppin hard, stompin em all.

Thanks....

Please help diagnose, its much harder to then you may think:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57818

Also, this was no ordinary STi, definately modded considering i almost took down this corvette:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57385

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
MassSupra89 said:
Starting at 50 the WRX had no chance. Nice kill.

Sounds like you've got some bad plugs. I pulled mine shortly after I got the car and the stumble went right away.

Thanks. this WRX was def not stock though as i ran with a modded C5 vette a few nights later. My hood was at his door at end of third then i missed 4th. Only reason he got that much on me was cause my syncros are shot and second gear is a bitch to get into.

Feel free to help diagnose my problem here, im stumped short of bad injectors: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57818

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
s383mmber1 said:
87mgte said:
I pull on my friends WRX at 20 PSI with full intercooler exhaust and intake.

Im at 11 PSI on stock CT with intake/exhaust and a few other things

well it's a WRX with a boost gauge measured in bars, so i don't really know how much stock boost is for them... how much do they usually run stock? i only have intake and he's bone stock, so maybe it'll be kinda fair. i'm makin him take me on the highway though cause i'm not down with racing AWD from a dig.