88 vs 89+ jdm rear subframe question

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Hi all, I recently picked up and 89+ rear subframe from a JDM parts place to replace the cracked one in my 88. As I was about to put it up into the car today I noticed a slight difference at the 2 rearmost mounting points. I have solid subframe bushings and as I went to put them on, I realized that the mounting points have additional "bushing" (i guess you'd call it) that doesn't allow the solid bushings to drop onto the subframe.

Im thinking about just having a friend machine the center holes to fit around the extra sleeve thats on the JDM subframe. Anyone have a better solution? Does this extra sleeve allow me to ditch those 2 solid bushings all together? Should the gold colored peice be removed somehow? Thanks in advance.

Heres my 88…

Heres the 89+

With the solid subframe bushing…

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It looks like the gold piece could be removed.

also could replace the old subframe bushings with new poly bushings wile it out. Or with just new toyota. your choice. Ronniek's bushings have the spacer added into the bushings so you dont need the solid alum spacer.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
I took a gamble and cut them in half with a dremel and hit them a few times with a hammer and there was no problem getting them off. Thanks.