88 turbo vpc harwire install help

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
i need the wire colors and pin numbers and where the 3 resistors go for the harwire install... i looked at the old school website and it is hard to follow because it breaks down the vpc harness.... which i dont have... i have the resistors and need to know what pin numbers they go to or maybe pics of each wire in the harness connector that is used... thanks

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
p470628_1.jpg

This should be all you need to hardwire it. I realize this is an 89 up diagram but you hook them to the same designated wires in the 88 harness.

Sean

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
that helps out alot but the 89 and up have 1 resistor and the 87-88 have 3. and i need to put them in too

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
You should only need one on the 87 88 also. You are just simulating the stock air temp sensor that is in the stock karman vortex sensor. Just put a 2.2 kilo ohm in the stock afm plug and hook up the vpc and you should be fine. I would highly recommend running it through an s-afc though as driveability is so much better.

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
http://oldschool.supracentral.com/htm/hardwire.htm this is why i am saying 3 resistors. 1 5100 and 2 2400 ohm resistors. the 87-88 dont have High Altitude Compensation [HAC] component of the engine management. The '89+ ECUs, have the HAC integral to the ECU, which means a hardwire to that version of ECU is more straightforward. There is a resistor, but only 1, instead of 3. the one resistor is the same to hook up but i need the other 2 i can kinda see the picture on the website but it is the vpc harness it shows and not the main

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
87 and 88's do have the HAC component of engine management, but you are right it is not in the ecu. It is mounted on the metal bar that runs under the glove box in the passenger side of the car. If you look on the wiring diagram the ecu should have a terminal listed as AC for altitude compensation. It is a 3 wire connector that uses the same hot wire and ground for the karman sensor and has a seperate signal wire. On the OLD SCHOOL site they might be trying to bypass this sensor.

Sean

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
hmm learn something new everyday... thanks a million... how would i put the wires in then and do i need the 3 resistors then.... i see the pin in the 88t that says HAC i just need to know what i need and dont need so i dont mess something up thanks a million...

armyastro

full body shave t04 mk3
Sep 16, 2005
radcliff ky
i dont see how the resistors will help with hac in the ecu harness on 88t.... could i just put them in like the afm harness one

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Just put in the one for the air intake temp sensor in the afm harness and hook your other wires up and see if it set any codes. I don't think it will. It is highly possible that HKS did away with the HAC because they could get to it, but you do not have to do away with it on the 89 up's and they all use the same vpc chip. The only difference in chips for the MKIII is whether or not your using 440 or 550 cc injectors.