88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

7mgePower89

Aug 19, 2011
AZ
just out of curiosity....... why have u kept it automatic?........ this thread is awesome and the car looks gorgeous..... keep up the good work

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Hi welcome to SM!! LOL yes partly because an auto is faster in a straight line when compared to a similarly built manual, but mostly because my Supra will be my DD once again when she runs (the sc will take over as project car), and Austin traffic is not conducive for manuals LOL. In the future when I finally turn the Supra into a track monster, I will convert to manual, OR ... and this is a BIG or, figure out a way to attach a 5+ speed auto with the suprastick for paddleshifting awesomeness. But that's just me dreaming big.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I'm really starting to get fed up with this shit. Roommates complain that my Supra is hogging the garage, and when I try to get parts to have her running ASAP, they complain when rent is late. FFS. I only make so much money, I go to school fulltime on a campus that is over half an hour away, I'm trying to study for an engineering transfer degree so I don't have time to work, and the stupid government is half a month late on my compensation. I wish I could just be a bum and not have to pay any rent or bills. I knew I should've stayed in Oregon and lived with my dad. Fuck My Life.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Yeah... it just sucks... I can't figure out a way around how tight money is. Maybe if I can start selling artwork or something... I can crank out good drawrings pretty well once I hit my stride.

It's a two car garage that they "never use anyways". I gave them fair warning and made sure they were ok with a dead Supra in the garage for an extended time. And now that they got a garage door opener, her beat up Honda Civic needs to be inside oh so bad.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Garage door opener? Know how to kill the remote sensing on it? ;). I am not kidding either. I doubt they would want to park inside if they have to manually open it.

Hopefully they are not vengeful and would do something to your car.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LOL. I could do that, but they got the opener as a present over the holidays. Besides, I'm not one to break anything intentionally... though I gotta admit, I liked it when the garage had to be opened by hand, never a complaint about the Supra on stilts. *sigh... It's ok though, I'm a Marine, I got skin so thick I may as well be bulletproof. XD trollololol

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
K Guys, I apologize for the lack of pics/updates. Here is what has been going on for the past couple weeks:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Going through the mess of disconnecting everything to drop the subframe

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also decided to repaint some stuff... realized later I used a different paint from before... high gloss vs satin. FML

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Discovered my rebuilt PS pump from rockauto had rust under the paint, so paint got stripped

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And rust converter applied

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'll have to take pics later of the finished product, I applied eastwood chassis primer after the rust converter and then a final coast of Eastwood chassis paint.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

BIC Engine mounts, I still need the brackets to mount the torque shock, if anyone has some spares lmk.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Old stuff got stripped

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Stuff waiting for rust treatment

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Getting all this disconnected the first time was fun...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Realized I couldn't actually move my subframe anywhere because I didn't want to disconnect the brake lines.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Later on down the road when I get my Wilwood BBK, I will rebuild the knuckles/hubs and make them nice and pretty.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Neat little piles.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

As you can see.... super glossy. At first I was like... I don't remember my parts looking this shiny after paint, then I realized it was Super gloss Engine Enamel -_-. FML Oh well, I hope it doesn't look tacky once everything is bolted together.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
And finally the question of the day: How to plumb my engine oil cooler lines??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I drew up some diagrams in an effort to make picking AN fittings easier, then I realized I had a dilemma regarding the engine oil lines. My understanding of the stock system is this: Oil goes to the filter housing on the block and back to the block under a certain pressure, over it, it routes excess oil to the cooler which then returns to the oil pan and not the block. Question: Even with the oil routed to the cooler, does oil still flow to the block? If so, then I can conclude that flow to the block is essential. So with the aftermarket setup, as you can see in my pic, flow will go the filter then to the block, where under 160F it will return to the block and over 160F it will continue on to the oil cooler then back to the block. Question: IF, the stock system is pressure based, will my setup cause over pressurization if I don't have a secondary return port? I have planned to plug the oil pan return line and allow all oil to return to the block. So should I just route it all back to the block? or should I still utilize the oil pan return line? Discuss.

btw picture updates start on previous page.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
There is a relief valve in the oil pump which should limit the oil pressure. IMO, there is zero need for any additional pressure relief. The stock system only has the second relief to allow flow to the cooler. Once the oil is past the pump you should flow all of it to the engine. :)

LU_002.gif

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
haha nice!!! I remember that day!! man that's a long time ago...

I think you are right though, I'm prob just gonna plug the oil pan drain then. Thanks!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Whoa, I haven't updated this thread in quite awhile.

Yep, I decided to go AN fittings/lines for the trans, oil and fuel lines. Trans are all set and ready to go, waiting on the engine to decide how I want to plumb the oil and fuel lines.

and.... it has begun. Pics soon.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thank you!!! Welcome to SM!

Aight here are some pics and questions to accompany a few of them.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After finally cutting the poly swaybar bushings, I noticed they stuck out much further than the bracket... should I trim them flush?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Stock subframe bushings OUT!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Really disappointed in the quality of paint from Rockauto's "rebuilt" sources, so I stripped the steering rack as well.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

That's it for now. Cleaned up the SC today, will be driving up to Houston tomorrow for TX2K12!! Woot!! Still bummed by Supra won't make it... next year though!! And hopefully by then I will be close to my 700hp goal.