88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
leftynridge;1669531 said:
I would clear coat those lenses while your at it. A friend of mine used the same stuff and after a while of sitting in the sun it will be begin to fade and even chip but if you clear coat it turns out perfect.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

You also can go to www.energysuspensionparts.com They also sale the sway bar bushings. While your at it might as well purchase inner outer tie rods, front lower ball joints. These you can get for $100 on ebay and they work just fine. Then if you really wanted to go at it you could purchase rack bushings, and subframe bushings from Ronnie. These are all polyurethane bushings to by the way. I'm currently completely restoring my suspension right now. You can check out my build thread to check the progress. There alot of other things you can do as well.

I def. plan on clearcoating them.... just waiting for the vht to cure completely. I also plan to upgrade whatever I can while I overhaul my suspension... well idk beyond coilovers. LoL
RazoE;1669552 said:
eh, smoked taillights do not look good, sorry..

*sigh I knew this was gonna happen sooner or later LoL... I'm just trying to get the taillights to match my smoked ones up front. If it's any consolation, I do plan on upgrading to 89+ bumper and taillights (a nice set of JDM too :D)

ok off to attempt a coolant change... drain/fill with water/run for 15 min/ drain again/ fill with toyo red. Sound about right? I get the feeling the engine block drain is also in an extremely inaccessible place.... :(

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Ahh... I've been flushing coolant all day.... I've drained and refilled like... 3 times now and still the water is brown... after each fill I take her out for like 15 min. I think I need to go get some Prestone Heavy Duty Cleaner because this is insane... not only is it dirty but it stinks to high heaven... :(

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
AHH... i found the source to my weird noises... I had the front of the supra lifted about 5 inches for my coolant flush... right now its got the prestone super cleaner in it... anyways... so I had the car running and the weird whining noise started almost immediately... after listening from different places I deemed the noise was coming from underneath... and lo it was loudest right underneath the transmission... :(((( I'm going to try n upload a couple vids... I have no idea what I'm hearing so perhaps the community can chime in...

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Looking good. If you need any stock parts, there's a clean '87 NA in the new Wrech-A-Part by the airport.

As for the sound, a mechanic's stethoscope might help you isolate it. They're only $5 from Harbor Freight.

What part of Austin are you in?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
mobes;1670216 said:
Looking good. If you need any stock parts, there's a clean '87 NA in the new Wrech-A-Part by the airport.

As for the sound, a mechanic's stethoscope might help you isolate it. They're only $5 from Harbor Freight.

What part of Austin are you in?

You think you can go pull the hood jets if its got any? ill give you $10 lols

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Gota7MGTE;1670217 said:
You think you can go pull the hood jets if its got any? ill give you $10 lols

Haha I'm nowhere near the airport. About 50 miles.

I do recall reading about some fluidic ones from a newer Camry you could swap in so you have a bunch of small droplets like newer cars instead of a couple streams of washer fluid.

Actually you can have the ones off my old hood for $10 if you really want them instead.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
mobes;1670218 said:
Haha I'm nowhere near the airport. About 50 miles.

I do recall reading about some fluidic ones from a newer Camry you could swap in so you have a bunch of small droplets like newer cars instead of a couple streams of washer fluid.

Actually you can have the ones off my old hood for $10 if you really want them instead.

REally? Ill take em! i really need em..

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Oh dear... umm I am still otw to Austin lmao... :( I was supposed to be there 4 months ago, but as you can see things have delayed my arrival into town... and since I'm too lazy to update locations I just put in Austin... Once I arrive, I will be living close to downtown with some friends near UT (tbh I can't wait to get there... it's been 16 years since I last lived in Austin. I can't remember what the place we lived was called, but it was on top of a hill in a really nice community :D)

and as for the vids here we go.. I didn't realize how clear my camera captures sounds.. so it is rather loud... and it's very clear what noise I'm referring to. I apologize for the shakiness

I think I may need to take off the pan and inspect the "filter" clean it out and put in some new trans fluid (but I just did a fluid change a month ago...) Also I think the orange fipg that's on there may be leaking... Before the vid I had wiped it clean, but there was some drippage going on

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
That doesn't sound good, my auto trans sounded like that before it started acting up. Then it quit shifting to 3rd and 4th so I decided that was a good time for the 1JZ/5 speed swap that I wanted to do anyway :)

I hope that's not what's up with yours.

Did you check the fluid level?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Oh man... I hope it's not that bad... Not more setbacks!!! :( I'm gonna check the fluid now... I think she's cold enough now, gonna do a cold check then run her a bit and check again brb

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK Pics now!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

continuing my light comparison.. here with brakes applied in direct sunlight

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

correct placement?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
... well

sm_photo_missing.jpg

mmmm so smexy topless :D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

second drain... :cry:

Inside of my coolant overflow
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

not very bright at all... the gauges I mean

sm_photo_missing.jpg

yes it's meant to be that way haha... I think my Trans is leaking... and if you read earlier posts... it doesn't sound so good either :1zhelp:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Damn... lost the retaining tab... wtf:: angry ::

some tape and stuck her on
sm_photo_missing.jpg

nice, no?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

trans fluid level cold

sm_photo_missing.jpg

C-17 Globemaster flew over... loud as hell, riding one of those wasn't to comfy either LoL
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

fluid hot level while car is running as well

OK so I totally FAILED my first time through the f/l rewire... Got lost cuz the right guide has different colored wires from me, but the visual guide had the same as me =O

And then I realized that I was being STUPID:slap:

So Sorry no pics of the proper way to do my car... I was pissed so just wanted to get the damn rewire done

sm_photo_missing.jpg

here's me thinking i'm so cool cutting the WRONG FREAKIN WIRE

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Splicing Wrong wire....

After much ado... success!!!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
I cleaned it up afterwards... so the wires "flowed" easier... I might find a better more permanent way to do it though in the future

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Don't think that inline is necessary... ??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

OK how the hell do you NOT get cracks when the Clearcoat dries... I'm using Duplicolor "perfect match" or something like that

sm_photo_missing.jpg

See that??? I know I can sand it... but I sand with 3k grit and it still looks like ass... and what kinda rubbing compounds are ppl using to get that amazing gloss??? I have turtleshell or something Rubbing compound for medium stains...

Oh ... that's all for today... more tomorrow and word on how my prestone cleaner is doing... gonna driver her around all day on a bad tranny :(

*sigh I really dunno what to do about that....

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
ooo... lessee I used a guide I found online... there are three that I know of... what year do you have?

this one is for 89+ I beleive: http://the-ish.com/supra/?p=13

so is this one: http://gallery.sanitylapse.com/v/supra/Foglight+Rewire/ (this one has great pics, the previous one has none)

this is for 87-88 the one I ended up using: http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=41

hope that helps :D

for supplies you will need something to splice with, I couldn't find the screw caps they speak of so I just twisted and used heat shrink. I might go back later in the future to redo the wiring so it's cleaner... also you might need some extra wire, not sure what gauge... I just used some random wire I found... again I might go back and redo it. And an inline fuse thingy with a 15amp fuse... get a couple I lost one behind the kick panel LoL :(

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
OK so after driving around today with family behind me in a prius, I have confirmed that my brake lights and turn signals are visible in direct sunlight... so after a light sand and some clearcoat, I think I'll be set. Also I just got my BVSV used from ebay for 10 bucks. Did the hot water test, and it works indeed, so later today when I flush my first batch of prestone cleaner, I'll be installing that :D

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1670525 said:
OK so after driving around today with family behind me in a prius, I have confirmed that my brake lights and turn signals are visible in direct sunlight... so after a light sand and some clearcoat, I think I'll be set. Also I just got my BVSV used from ebay for 10 bucks. Did the hot water test, and it works indeed, so later today when I flush my first batch of prestone cleaner, I'll be installing that :D

I have pre 89. Thanks for the links!! & hold up i just lost myself. How will this work? when you turn on the fog light switch will that turn on the fogs or will it be the defogger button that turns them on?

& be VERY careful with BVSV... like i said those lil bastards are EXTREMELY fragile..

Last edited: