88 7MGTE White Pearl Targa---Lots of Pics

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well I finally got pictures of the drop. Gosh its so nice having her back. I had to keep her in storage in the bay area over winter. I didnt want the cold to toast my motor...and I also found out turbos, traction, and snow arent very good friends. Haha!
p1551442_1.jpg

p1551442_2.jpg

p1551442_3.jpg

p1551442_4.jpg

p1551442_5.jpg

p1551442_6.jpg

p1551442_7.jpg

p1551442_8.jpg

p1551442_9.jpg

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
It was getting to be dark and she had a long day so she was tired. :) Haha no I think they look cool for some shots and others not so much. So its just if I think it looks better at the moment or not. I havent hacked any wiring or anything to get them like that.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You should pull that 7M, clean and spray the engine bay and fit everything back to stock....maybe a blow off at the most with all stock piping. If I had that car I would set that car completely back to stock, as it would come from the factory. It will be worth some good money down the road if you keep it maintained like your grandma did. Get another Supra if you want to do swaps and modify it.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Supra28- Yea thats how I feel about it too. Its kinda Like a college kid tuner thing or something. Nothing against them, just gotta elevate your company. Haha

Iboughtasupra-Ive seriously spent alot of time considering that. I mean I have been waiting for this car my whole life so Ive had time to think about it all ALOT. But Im seriously crazy about this car and I feel has I grow as a driver I want my car to grow with me. I know it would be worth so much as a pristine original supra if I kept it perfect and just got another one to play with but I have no monitary value in mind with this car. I wont ever sell this car. Ill keep it till I cant drive anymore and then Ill pass it on to the most deserving child or grandchild. I may be a kid to most(Im only 20) but I know when Im passionate about something and this car is top on that list. So with that in mind I wont do anything to destroy this car. I dont want to do any motor swaps or body kits or race prep strips. I mean this thing will always be the cleanest mk3 supra around. I get the biggest smile on my face every single time I walk outside and see my baby parked in front. Ill just sit on the side walk at stare at it for hours. My favorite thing to do is just sit in front of it while it idles and listen to every noise the engine makes. I cant even put in to words how much I love this car. But trust me, I wont ruin it.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well now that the weather is warming up and Ive got some spare time I figured I would start taking care of the little things age has done to my car. First off, faded under coating. Rocks and age have slowly stripped it and its not noticeable really but its something that bugs me every time I wash the car.
This picture shows how bright the paint is on the front flap compared to how faded the body is.

Ive had problems with over spray in the past so now I like to be very safe.

First coat on. I just used a flat primer type spray paint.

And the final result. Very impressed and matched up almost perfectly with the original color. Took 3 thick coats tho.

Now Ill do the other side just so they match. Passenger side isnt as badly faded but not brand new. Only took an hour for such a good look. :)

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well I went to do the other side and realised its almost perfect. So I figured Id touch up the wiper arms instead. The driver side was almost entirely bare metal.

Its all the little things that make the whole car better.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well I went outside to move my car into the garage to replace some things and noticed the rain left some friends on my car..so I took some shots. Nice to know my wax is doing its job. Very very well.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Got the car up and apart for new control arms, front strut bump stops, turbo rebuild, new fluids, and some leaks that need to be hunted down. Also found some rust under the battery box unfortunately.. :(

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Today I decided to look into the broken brown wire I found in the main wire harness going through the intake manifold. I pulled the manifold and determined that it was indeed the front knock sensor wire. But my knock sensor was already hooked up. In fact both had separate wires outside of the main harness. This got me wondering so I started looking through old repair receipts saved by my grandpa and I couldn't believe what I found...

Here is the broken wire.

Here is the front knock sensor and non-factory wire attached.

These are the separate knock sensor wires clearly added in. THey run from both sensors, up along the firewall, and through the firewall into the ecu. And Ive always wondered why these wires didnt look normal...

Well after looking through receipts first I found this one.

On July21 '94 my gpa went to the dealership for a cel. Code 52 for knock sensor. Found another recipet for 2 weeks later where he went in to have the new sensor installed. But then I found this...

The cel came back on and Toyota Tech line advised them to run new wires from the sensors to the computer. Once I read this I suddenly wanted to go back in time 16 years and kick that tech in the nads for not cutting the wire shorter so I wouldnt have had to pull the manifold AGAIN. And for being lazy and not running the wire through the main harness cover. Funny how things work. Glad I have these receipts too.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Update time!

New control arms(Rock auto's)

New coil pads from dealer (new vs. old comparison) I see now why my h&r springs lowered the car more than expected..

Also got new bump stops from the dealer..id have pictures of those too but there was nothing left of my old bumps except a few chunks of rubber.
Everything back together

Then the dash came out to fix my leaking heater core..which turned out to be a crushed heater pipe..

New pipe and o rings will be here tomaro so all that will go back together by this weekend.
Then came the turbo. I figured heck I might as well try and rebuild it, if it doesnt end up working then oh well, at least I tried right? Got the rebuild and gasket kit from driftmotion. Wish I had gotten more pictures of the steps of rebuilding but I was focusing.
My dad helped out with this one tho.

Had my front wheels off to get new tires(Went with Continental ExtremeContact DW) so I cleaned, polished, and waxed my wheels.

Before I parked my car I took out a road marker coming over a mountain pass during a storm. Busted the mirror and trim pieces on the right side. Took some paint of the front fender and door edge. Never been more mad in my entire life.

Hooking up the replacement and test fitting.

I tried to make my own brackets for my new KevinM sunshade...

But then the tabs broke off when I tried to bend the arms..

Gotta find another type of metal or keep waiting for KevinM to email me back about getting a hardware kit.
And a few other parts waiting to go in this weekend..

So yea, thats what Ive been up to this past week or two. All the toyota parts guys know me as soon as I walk in the door now. Hope to be able to drive her to work monday morning. :)

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Full of win today!
Got the pipe and rings in today. Pipe was the right one luckily and I got two extra o rings just in case. Also grabbed a new rad cap and some toyota red coolant while I was at the dealer as my stant cap has a slight leak in it. And came home to my mint condition seat belt guides thanks to KillerSquirrel, and my new tires from tire rack!

On a side note, couldnt believe toyota red coolant list price is 30 dollars a gallon now! After the parts guy saw the look on my face he said oh dont worry, Ill give it to ya at employee cost, 16 bucks a gallon. I love working at a dealership, the price hook up I get makes buying dealer parts more than worth it. Everything I get there with my discount is only a few dollars more than any autozone or kragen aftermarket parts. And whats better than oem parts?!

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well this was a very busy weekend for me. First off, I had some good foam laying around and noticed the foam on my heater box was far from good. Crumbled if you poked it. I removed, cleaned, and re-adhered every bit I could get to.

Installed the new pipe and new o rings after that.

Three hours worth of work for this assembly, but made me feel better about putting it back in my car.

Ac box looked okay so I just cleaned it up a bit and left it alone.

Cleaned everything I could touch while I had the car apart. Finally got to vacuum and clean all those little edges and corners I could never reach with the dash in.

Climate control all back in.

Redid the upper vent foam too while I was at it.

Got the whole interior back together without any hickups in about 2 hours. Cleaned and inspected everything as I put it back in.

Then mounted my DM softline kit. Made the install SO MUCH easier than the factory accordion line.

Rebuilt turbo and lines ready to go on.

My Grandma bought this tent for a 4th bbq and it made the day much more bearable. Hit about 95 that day. And I got to be patriotic too!

After everything was back together I filled her up with 50/50 mixed Toyota red coolant and fresh oil. Pulled the efi fuse and cranked till I got oil pressure. Took about 15 seconds as its been sitting dry for a few months now. Put the fuse back in and she fired right up. My misfire dilemma is back tho. Will be updated that thread as I test and find things. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?137219-Intermittent-misfire&p=1748749#post1748749
BUt other than that Ive driven about 300 miles and everything seems to be doing good. Cant believe how much of an improvement my ride quality is now with the new coil pads and bumpstops. I never drag the lip anymore and my tires dont rub on the fender liners. Its great! The ride does seem a bit bouncy on the freeway tho. And the new tires are quite an improvement of the previous G-force tires. Smooth, quiet, but great steering response and feel. Tomaro Ill put in the reman alternator and soon Ill be servicing the trans and rear diff. Sure is great having Sid back. :)

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Got the reman alternator in, lights are alot brighter and the engine doesnt load down so much when hitting the windows and things. Also got the misfire figured out. The cps was 3 teeth off. Puurs like a dream now. Tomaro at work ill resurface the rear rotors, cleanup and regrease the brake pads(got a brake squeal from the back with medium pedal pressure cold and hot) Ill recheck all the front end make sure everything is still nice and tight, try and find the squeak coming from the rear right. Every little bump in the road and i hear a quick and very high pitched squeak. Almost a chirp like a little bird makes. Sounds like the top of the coil when i bounce the car. Its annoying as hell tho. And while Im at it ill check the alignment and get my wheel straight for once. Should be a good productive day.