88' - 7MGTE Mod Sleeper - For Now - 450 HP Easy to Get with this Setup?

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
It was 87 .... out with some friends, late summer... and the girl of my dreams drags me away from a party - say's let's go for a ride in my new car. Next thing I know were doing 135 down the blacktop... I don't know if it was the car or the blond, but I was hooked! Gimme Some More!

Several years later I ran across the MKIII car, still in great condition and always heard good things about Supra's and the unlimited possibilities for serious HP! So I took the Dive, and bought it. Now looking to get some serious - reliable - Miles on this Baby!

I come from a Old School Big Block background - Any Helpful Input is Greatly Appreciated!!!

After consulting with some folks here is ....The Build ...

Block - 7M, Crank 6M, Eagle Rods, Forged Wiseco .020, Oem Oil Pump

Heads - Mild Porting, Comp Springs, Upgraded Valve Assy Parts, Oem Cam, Valves, Timing Gears

Intake - Oem Plenum - Minus the Restrictive Airbox, Alum Pipes, 50mm Bov, Upgraded IC, 57 Turbo SP61GT (5862)

Exh - Oem manifold, 3in from the turbo out the back - no Cat, AEM Wideband O2

Motor was built by a friend on this forum - Great Work - Zero Balance Assy - Blueprinted - Nuf Said!

Other Add-ons:

2.0 mm HG, Spec Twin Disc Clutch Kit, AFPR, 660 Inj, AEM ECU, AEM Twin-Fire Mod Ing, Egr B/O, AEM Boost Cnrl, 3.5 Bar MAP, Air Temp Sensor Walbro Pump, Fluidyne Rad, Flex-o-lite Fans, Earl's Turbo Lines

Trans Re-Build to handle 600+, Aluminum D/S, Lowering Springs, Sway Bars Upgraded, Illumina II's - 17" Wheels - Just a bit bigger than stock

Potential for this combination?

What if down the road - T-4 - turbo and exh headers? Any Issues to think about now.

~Thanks Friends~

~Gman~

Finally the snow is melting here in O-H-I-O, so it's back on the horsepower path, new pic added, more to follow!

PB030249..jpgPB030250..jpgPB030251..jpgPB030248..jpgPB030249..jpgPB030250..jpgPB030251..jpgPB030248..jpgP2150004.jpg

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Did you read JDub's oil thread I told you about? Hope it helped. Don't skip the oiling system on the 7M or all your money invested will go down the drain. Take your time and do it right the first time.

By the way, I like stainless steel hoses, not the push lock hoses because I am not sure how good they are. I just like using something I know works. Just my .02 cents.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Very nice looking! Id say with a t4 and a GOOD tune you'd be reliable for 500whp, i think the 26 will limit you to roughly 400-425. Any pictures of the car?

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wow, the engine looks really nice! Any exterior pics of the car? Where in Ohio are you from exactly?

sixpatch;1636017 said:
Looks like you'll hit the 450 mark you're shooting for, just be careful any time you mix the words +400hp, 7M, and Reliable Miles.

Not saying it's impossible, but I never heard of a 57CT reaching the 450HP mark unless we're talking about crank horsepower. Not being a smart ass, just saying as I plan to get the 57CT myself later down the road and have been doing massive amounts of research. ;) Chances would be closer with a 60-1 CT, although I don't know too much about it.

ask92;1685138 said:
Very nice looking! Id say with a t4 and a GOOD tune you'd be reliable for 500whp, i think the 26 will limit you to roughly 400-425.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Looks awesome man, very solid foundation! A bit bigger turbo, and a 2nd fuel pump and you could shoot for 500-600, but 450 should be CAKE as long as you take the car to a GOOD tuner!

CtownDawgs88

Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Update on Progress - Motor was broke in a month ago (idle and mild revving) until yesterday when my Dyno Tuner was back from vacation.

Car was to low to get on the Mustang Dyno - the exhaust flange from the downpipe hit the center section of the Dyno - so we had to road-tune the car. That was interesting!!!

So ran into the inevitable 3K ignition break up under boost levels > 8psi. I did install a AEM CDI after the ignitor and this only made the problem worse, so I connected the by-pass plug and it improved. All around driving is great just can't go WOT.

Question - I have been reading about removing the Multi-plex ignition but I am confused as to the best route. Should I go with the MKVI ignitor and IS300 coils? Or will the MKVI ignitor fix the issue?

Also anyone know of the wiring diagram for the 88 Supra (engine harness) what i see on the TSRM is not what color wires I have in my car.

Thanks for the assistance - Mike

Last edited:

CtownDawgs88

Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Update - Found a good tuner in Perry Ohio - Steve owner of RDP Motorsport

Got 360 HP at the wheels, 425 at the flywheel - not bad but the driftmotion 57trim turbo wastegate would not hold more than 13 psi before it started releasing. Also the BOV that DM sells (mock SSQV) is junk.

So looking to get another BOV and a real turbo in the fall.

Suggestions on a good turbo? I was thinking sp60 or 67. Not changing the exhaust manafold as this is really not a problem for my goal of 425-450 HP

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Subbed for inspiration, I plan on getting my 7m up to 400-450hp max way down the line reliably as well, if that extra 50hp would decrease reliability then I'll settle for 400 lol. Very clean setup can't wait to see the end product.

CtownDawgs88

Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Update June 2013 - Removed the CT26 57Trim Turbo and installed a SP61GT (5862), removed all of the water cooling lines and an ATI super Damper. Took the car out to RDP Motorsports in Perry Ohio and got 490 HP / 670 Ft lbs of Torque out of this setup. Hit Fuel cut (because the single Walbro will not feed enough gas). So i will be looking to get either another Walbro and dual hanger setup or a Denso/Bosch fuel pump.

Which is my best option?

BTW Steve @ RDP Motorsports really knows his stuff on the dyno/tunning/Aem setups. Check out their Webpage at http://rdpmotorsport.com - real nice people from Australia - steve is know for his love of SERIOUS HP setups.

Last edited: