88 7m-gte transplant into 89+ shell

skim1040

work in progress
My shell has a few rust spots and some issues with the paint, and I happened to come across a cheap, excellent condition black, targa, 89 shell. My dream color, and its in great condition (paint is good, and no rust). and cheap.

But, would it be too much of a headache to swap my 88 7m into the 89 shell?
I know the IC setup is slightly different?
What about the wiring? The shell has a 89+ harness already in the car, and I believe the clips are different?

Would I be opening up a can of worms?

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
depending if its a early 89 or late 89 the early ones harness is more similar to the 88's and the late ones are closer to the 90's.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I'm going through this right now. My '90 auto is getting the d/l from my '88 manual. It takes some tweaking, but it's quite doable. I had a complete '90 sacked d/l in mine though. I just used most of the stuff with plugs from the '90 motor. ie cps, water neck, '90 tb. The plugs for the tranny and clutch need some massaging to get the auto cpu and harness to behave.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
its going to be horrible! tell me where the black 89 shell is :)

No you'll just have to change the harness and ecu to a 89+ unit and you'll be good to go. I put a 91 7m into a 86.5 car w/ a simple harness and ecu change. we got the mounts from his old ge, so that was no issue, but You might need the 89+ mounts if its a late 89. I have a set of brackets, you'll need the rubber parts though