87 turbo hartop issues please read

veedubin

Official SM Decals
turbo
5 spd
All options less super monitor.

Mods: Intake with cone filter , shimmed gate to 10psi , 3" cat back , fuel cut raised via screw in AFM housing.

Codes: 31, 52, 24

problem: Car barely runs.

History: Rewired knock sensors about 3 months ago, and all was well. until last week. MIL came on and code 52 popped up. So I tried to repair it thinking it was a poor rewire. Did not work. I drove it like that for a few days,then it gave me a code 31. Removed AFM and wiped down with a rag. It was soaked in oil. Today, I decided I'm going to fix this once and for all. I started about 11:30a Sat and it is now 12:42A Sun. Any ways here is a brief summary of what I did.

Cleaned plugs
cleaned all upper IC piping (little oily)
removed AFM again to clean ( shot it with some brake parts cleaner--- this will come up again)
cleaned Idle air motor with carb cleaner.
Removed charcoal canister, vented gas tank to factory location in fender. capped off unused vaccuum port.
Checked knock sensor wiring again ( used DVOM to check for any shorts and for continuity)

So I put it all back together, and it is basically not running.

Code 52 Knock sensor
Code 31 AFM signal
Code 24 Intake air temp signal

Now back to brake parts cleaner and AFM.... any problems????
By looking at the AFM the IAT sensor and AFM are incorporated into one sensor, correct?

WHY THE HELL DO I KEEP GETTING KNOCK SENSOR CODE!!! :1zhelp: :icon_evil Ok that feels better.
This code comes on immediatley. No waiting to rev or nothing. The sensors are nice and shiny look new. Any way to test them???

Any ideas?? Possible dead knocks and AFM???? Did I kill the AFM with brake parts cleaner???
I just want my car to run. As of right now I can start the car, put it in gear and start to roll. As soon as I put the engine under any sort of normal load it dies. But will restart right after. I can't even get this out of my driveway, and I have to be at work monday 8am

Thanks to all who read this.

BTW, any one have a AFM they want to get rid of?? If mine is bad, i need one now, I will drive to get it if I have to ( i'll use my wife's car)

Also in an attempt to get this car driving ASAP, please feel free to call me:
(717) 823-6085 David
Or on my wife's cell
(717) 203-0860
any time is fine, i live on the east coast so my time is EST

thanks again guys

erifann

Accidental afficianado
Apr 18, 2007
North Cackalacky
If so, there are plenty of ways to test all that shit... it just takes time. You can test the connectors on the AFM and the knock sensors... just use the manual to follow the troubleshooting directions.

Do you have the manual, or the website online? If not, here's the address:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx

Also, I believe brake parts cleaner is fine to clean the afm, as it doesn't leave residue. My buddy's a mechanic, and he said it's fine for that job. You should never touch anything inside the housing, but I'm guessing you know that. Good luck.

Peace,
Erik

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
You may have gotten lucky, but usually ANY cleaning attempted on the AFM ruins it completely. Brake cleaner does leave some residue.

You could have a bad knock sensor or your rewire job wasn't perfect. The ECU is very picky about the knock sensor wiring.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
i bet the afm is dead also. brake cleaner does it every time. when my afm died my knock sensor and intake temp sensor was trippin also. put a new mass airflow sensor in and it solved every problem.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
supra_ed said:
i bet the afm is dead also. brake cleaner does it every time. when my afm died my knock sensor and intake temp sensor was trippin also. put a new mass airflow sensor in and it solved every problem.
If you are correct, I'll air mail you a beer... this knock sensor thing has been messing with me for too long
thanks

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
brake cleaner will probably definitely kill your AFM, but if you use electric parts cleaner, that stuff works great. I have used it many times on Nissan AFM's when they have failed and they will work great again. Usually its the oil and dirt that gets on them and kills them.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
veedubin said:
If you are correct, I'll air mail you a beer... this knock sensor thing has been messing with me for too long
thanks
lol, i went through same problems when my afm went out. knock sensor code, afm code, and intake sensor code. now im not promising anything but i will bet you a bottle of jack that the afm is it. advanced auto also used to sell specific afm cleaner (fyi). ill expect that jack next week man, let me know:naughty:

veedubin

Official SM Decals
supra_ed said:
lol, i went through same problems when my afm went out. knock sensor code, afm code, and intake sensor code. now im not promising anything but i will bet you a bottle of jack that the afm is it. advanced auto also used to sell specific afm cleaner (fyi). ill expect that jack next week man, let me know:naughty:

your really optimistic in saying "next week" I can't seem to find a used one and a new one is going to run me $389 !!! that is BS I might as well go MAP ECU ( definate possibility if i'm gunna spend the dough )

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
veedubin said:
your really optimistic in saying "next week" I can't seem to find a used one and a new one is going to run me $389 !!! that is BS I might as well go MAP ECU ( definate possibility if i'm gunna spend the dough )
that sucks, did you check ebay? usually there all over the place on ebay. ill check around with my people- i run around with about 7 or 8 guys who own mk3's.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
supra_ed said:
that sucks, did you check ebay? usually there all over the place on ebay. ill check around with my people- i run around with about 7 or 8 guys who own mk3's.

yea, ebay has 1 i think, and that is already ended. I'm about ready to get a MAP ECU any one have one for sale??