87 supra TURBO- HOT START problems- FIRST 0-10 MIN AFTER SHUT DOWN

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
Hi

I have a 87 Turbo , that I have own since NEW .. yes I know its old ..!

OK here is my problem:

The car starts fine and wonderful whenever its cold .. even in winter -- so I know the Cold start injector is working and I m sure the cold start injector time switch is good as well.

the problem is with a HOT start. if I turn off engine , when its hot , ( in summer its worse the hotter outside it is) I CANNOT start it .. it seems to run rich , How do I know this, ??? Because it sputters and coughs and I have to push the throttle to the floor , so the throttle WOT , (so the Throttle valve is held open UNTILL it burn up the excess fuel for first 15 secs or so.. then if I race to 3-4 K rpm for 5 secs ... it idles smoothly again . If it sits for more than 15 min it starts fine.

THE ISSUE IS THE 0-10 MIN TIME FRAME AFTER TRUING OFF THE CAR.!

I've heard some different stories , about weird things to replace -- but I don't want to randomly just buy parts, > just the ones that don't work !
I trust the guys here , cause we are all SUPRA motor heads in this forum -- and u know the right answers .. !! BTW,, I have a factory repair manual , and if there is a page in it to check, or any reference .. please let me know!

I appreciate your expert help

thank you !
Kevin

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
could be your ecu coolant temp sensor it could be sending a signal to the ecu showing a cold start causing it to enrich the fuel mixture on start up. next time this happens try unplugging the sensor first before you try to start it. if it is the sensor it should start with it unplugged.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Did you ever check your fuel pressure? You can remove the CSV from the fuel rail and install a test gauge there. Car will start ok with the CSV unhooked.
Fourth picture down
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=72

Mine had a bad vacuum diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator. I used a 'mity-vac' style vacuum tester to apply vacuum to the FPR and found that it wasn't holding pressure (value on gauge slowly dropped). Not saying that's your problem, but you could have multiple issues.

Check for codes
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=23

Testing coolant temp sensor
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=113

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
I think U r conr -fused jetjock.. ( AS U SAY!)

I was nicely asking for help to understand and service my car.. I love it very much and have taken excellent care for many years.

EVERYONE else on this site and on this post is always generous with wisdom , helpful and non sarcastic- and not condescending ........

hmmmm , but not YOU .. !! why is that >>??

If u cant be positive and helpful .... I would appreciate it and so would everyone else in the future if u just DO NOT SAY ANYTHING .! :)

I t just makes u look like an A@&:)

Last edited:

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
THank you for the helpful and polite reply.

I have been trying to locate a SST for the fuel pressure, ( one with w/ a Banjo fitting to fit the connector.) but am having NO LUCK on line. if u have a source of where to get a Fuel pressure gage with a banjo fitting that will work, on Toyotas, IM AM VERY GRATEFUL! :) Please let me know if u have any ideas on where to look for such an adapter. I can get a fuel pressure gage ANYWHERE .. every Auto parts store has several ,,, but the adapter for e banjo fitting......... now that's the hard part!

What is a CSV.? ..so I am looking for the right servo valve ...

thank you pizzadriver!

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
CSV is cold start valve.

I removed my CSV from the fuel rail and screwed in a generic fuel pressure gauge there, one that came with an assortment of threaded fitting. No banjo needed. Just leave the CSV unhooked from the rail while you do your tests, the car will still start fine (mine did anyways).

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Also, probably time to have your injectors sent out to be cleaned and flow tested. They've been in there a long time, probably have clogged screen filters in them. Have them do your seventh injector too while you're at it (the CSV). Any Toyota dealer or shop can do this for you if you don't want to remove them yourself. They could be leaking fuel during that 10 minutes while the system is still pressurized, making the car hard to start.

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
yes... its stock and original. THe motor was rebuilt several year ago with a JASPER rebuild . The injectors were replaced at that time,& they only have 45K miles on them ..

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprasvoboda;2038186 said:
EVERYONE else on this site and on this post is always generous with wisdom , helpful and non sarcastic- and not condescending ........

I must have been reading a different forum.