87 Restoration

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
I recently got this 87 non-turbo car from my friend Suprakid93. It's rough and needs some work. A bit rusty but nothing that can't be fixed. Right now I am busy getting everything prepped to fix the rusted floor and spare tire well. Also I plan to swap in a 7M-GTE motor which I already have. In addition I plan to convert it to a 5-speed. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Now for some pics.

DSCN1757.jpg

DSCN1759.jpg

I will have more pics soon.

Attachments

• DSCN1756.jpg
    DSCN1756.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 36

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Car looks to be in fairly decent condition besides stuff hiding.

Got 1/3 of a 3 pc spoiler too.

Good luck sir!

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
I have the other 2 pieces for the spoiler, they just need to be mounted. There are 2 spots in the floor where it is rusted out, and the spare tire well is pretty much gone completely. besides that there are a couple minor rust spots on the fenders and by the mudflaps. I plan to start patching rust soon so i can get the interior back in and then i can start on the motor.

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
I got the rust spots cut out and i spent much of the afternoon grinding and prepping so i can hopefully get everything patched and welded this weekend. ill post more pics soon.

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
Heres a quick update. This project got pushed back a bit. My mustang that is my daily driver died so thats gotta get fixed. Then i decided i would go ahead and fix my truck thats been sitting for awhile. But soon I will be getting a mig welder because my old stick welder just isnt going to work for this. once im doing patching stuff heres what is to come:

R154 trans
Twin turbo 7M-GTE
Complete brake job
New cv shafts
New ball joints
Wheel Bearings
Front and rear energy suspension bushings
Coilovers-This winter probably

Im sure there will be plenty more done to this car as time goes on but this is my starting point.

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
Well it has been quite awhile since i made an update. I have been working 60-70 hours a week for the past few months. But somehow i managed to still find time to get some work done. I have a ct-26 turbo on its way but I'm looking for a 60-1. Ive got the floors fixed and most of the interior put back together. The spare tire well is also patched now. I just purchased some 89+ tail lights so i will be swapping those out as soon as they come in. I also have a brand new set of NPR .50 oversize pistons and rings coming so the block will be off to the machine shop as soon as i finish stripping it down. Here are a few pics of what I have gotten done so far. more to come soon.

037.jpg038.jpg041.jpg064.jpg141.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yes, but i believe its only one of the two cams thats different.
You said you're going twin turbo- are you using two ct26's?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If you're just going for power and not 'wow' factor, i would stick with a single turbo.
Way too many plumbing hassles.

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
Im not looking to push past 400-450 hp. But i do want to have the "wow" factor when i pop the hood.

*Update on build*

Today i bought a 90 NA 5spd parts car. almost completely rust free with a good grey cloth interior. The trans is a w58 and the motor just needs cams put in which i have i think 3 spare sets (i now have 4 motors for parts) it didnt come with a title though :( i will however try to track down who it is registered to and try to get a replacement title before i strip it down completly because i would hate to scrap it. im going to swap out the interior into my blue 87 because my blue interior is not in good condition. i think im going to throw together a GE motor and get my 87 on the road before winter while i build the real monster that i will put in. If i am unable to come up with a twin turbo set up then i will go big single and try to push for 500-600 hp

Jacob25

Apr 18, 2012
Savanna Illinois
both cars are in good shape. the blue 87 needs some body work done on it still. the 90 red one is in really good shape from the looks of it. i havent looked too closely at it yet. i havent even gotten it off the trailer yet