87 NA wont start..tried it all...I think. Help

$9ktt

Apr 30, 2013
Hawaii/Georgia
So I purchased an 87 NA 5spd with supposedly BHG for $500. It's been sitting for 5 years here in Hawaii.

It had oil soaked plugs so I changed them and replaced the leaking 3rd valve cover gasket.
Got the frozen starter to turn over and I'm getting spark at the plugs. Seems to be strong spark
I have gas coming from the CS injector but none at the injectors...plugs still dry.
Unplugged MAF and same scenario. No codes

PO said car was running, started to overheat and she just parked it thinking it was BHG. I don't no how it
could have ran with the spark plugs so soaked in oil.

I have yet to check compression but it seems to be strong motor. Anything else I may try once i get it BACK!?!
It got TOWED today for being ABANDONED !!! WTF !?! I HATE HAWAII at times !!! It had an alarm on it !!! It's
a bucket but has Blitz Nur Spec and Tokico Blues and great interior. Only if I can get her running....

Thanks

B

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
$9ktt;2073211 said:
Unplugged MAF and same scenario. No codes

It won't start and the fuel pump won't activate with the air flow meter unplugged. And the 7MGTE and 7MGTE do not have a MAF meter.

PO said car was running, started to overheat and she just parked it thinking it was BHG.

A liar is a possibility.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Nick M;2073327 said:
It won't start and the fuel pump won't activate with the air flow meter unplugged. And the 7MGTE and 7MGTE do not have a MAF meter.

A liar is a possibility.

From experience, I know that an NA will start just fine with the air flow meter disconnected. However, it will not run. It will stall right after it starts.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Replace all of the applicable fuses. I ran into this yesterday. The fuses all looked good, but the car wouldn't start until I out new ones in. It costs $0.60 and isn't a bad idea, even if you don't need to.

$9ktt

Apr 30, 2013
Hawaii/Georgia
So i found out why it wouldn't start. The oil pump gear was completely separated. Welded it back together, redid timing and it started right up. With ROD KNOCK. SMDH.
Pistons 2 and 3 no move. Hahaha....oh well, part it out and make my 86.5 5spd like I wanted to do.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Asterix;2073358 said:
From experience, I know that an NA will start just fine with the air flow meter disconnected. However, it will not run. It will stall right after it starts.

STA....point being, don't unplug it.