87 Mitsubishi Starion 2jz

BOHO

Jan 6, 2012
Georgia
Well I went 1jz and ended up finding a 2jz so it was only logical to improve. Tore the bay down and working on getting it running now. Worried about the wiring but I think I can handle it. Curious if I can simply hook an indicator light up to pin 6 on the 40pin plug as my check engine light? Then use the bridge method on the diagnostic port? Harness was hacked before I got it so I'm just a little concerned. But hope to be wiring within the week.

Some before shots

Repainting engine bay...Car will be a different color but I havn't decided what to do yet. Thinking of keeping it silver or going with a blue.

Not much to the motor for now. 550's, SAFC2, BBC, 74mm Garrett, CC Stage 4 on the r154. Hoping for 450-475 at 18-20psi.

Just finished welding all of my AN fittings for the cooling system and hope to have it plumbed and finished this weekend. Still have lots of work to do but wanted to start a post. Hope you guys don't mind that its not a supra.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Is it just me or does it look like your 1J was sitting a little crooked in the bay? Very clean ride even before the engine bay clean up and the 2J!

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
crazy that car is cleaner then I remember, can't believe you tore it down and started over just after you got it running, guess their is never enough power haha.

BOHO

Jan 6, 2012
Georgia
I daily drove the 1jz for a year and a half. I had plans on modding it but came across the 2j and couldn't turn it down. Its not that clean which is why I'm trying to restore it. The bay is really coming out nice, I hope the rest of the car follows.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
oooh I'm sorry I had mistaken you for this guy: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...tsubishi-Starion&highlight=mitsubishi+starion

I think it's awesome to see lots of these cars with jz's in 'em. Can't wait to see this done though looks like it will fly being light and all. Oh and your car is a lot cleaner then this guys, explains why I thought it was cleaned up already lol. do they make body kits for these cars? I think that would be one of a kind then for sure.

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
thats me! thats where the 1jz went to! haha

I was rushed in my swap, which is why the pay wasnt painted or anything like that.. sucks, but it will happen soon.. dont worry

boho, get that mofo on the road already!

BOHO

Jan 6, 2012
Georgia
LoL 19c and I have known each other for a few years now. Its just chance we both had silver starions and hated the g54b. He picked up the 1j from me and knocked out the swap. I may have made it a little easier on him though... :D

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
you may have made it harder, LOL!!! nah, it was pretty simple really. nothing major, of coure i had to come up with a tranny mount, i did not follow your guidlines on that! I gave that damn G54B a good run, issue after issue, i simply quit wasting money and gave up.. ole yota reliability is hard to beat!

BOHO

Jan 6, 2012
Georgia
Thanks. I'm still working on the wiring and cooling system. Have to re weld the bungs on the radiator. I'm hoping to fire it by next weekend. Only time will tell.

Dec 31, 2010
IL
Wow man, you uninstalled and re-installed the engine in one page! You work pretty fast! lol. Looks good, I would have saved the worked and threw the 2J in another shell more wire-friendly. I'm probably underestimating your love for the Starion though :) (I love the look of an MKII better than my MKIII, but don't tell these guys) D:

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
well half the work was done if it was converted to 1jz already. not to mention everyone wants more ponies. I can't wait to see this finished though it's fucking bad-ass. I also like the look of 'em and the originality.

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
It doesnt get more wire friendly than a starion.. Thats the one thing about the engineers at mitsubishi when they built the car. it was pretty simple.. You have to go through one plug under the dash to connect everything. I retained the factory stock relay from the starion. The hardest thing is finding what needs power and when. It was harder for him to wire the 1j being from a soarer and not much info lol.. luckly for me he had the headache and i just had to wire it into my car. it was literally like 8 wires when it was all said and done. Im not to sure about the 2j but BOHO will figure it out and have it running. Ive done a few swaps for other people now and wired them, not of them were terrible.