87 Budget Purpa

MadCow23

Restoring
Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati
Okay so bear with me this is my first actual try at posting all these pictures I've been taking.

I was looking for a car that i could have a little more fun than i did in my FWD 2.slow Nissan Nx2000. I looked at a datsun 260 but it was a complete shit box, and over budget. I didn't even think about getting a supra but i found one for 400$ so i couldn't resist and decided to deal with the rust. 7MGTE in an white 87 Targa. absolutely beautiful
View attachment 64598
View attachment 64599
View attachment 64600
View attachment 64601

When i first found it i expected that i would have to jump it. It sat there for a year after "the lower radiator hose blew" found out that was Total bull shit when i got home. I did all the usual checking for frame rust, and when i started her up she purred like a kitten. Before i actually bought it i did as much research as i could (thank you SupraMania) and found out how prone the 7M is to Blowing the HG. I made sure to check the oil for coolant but it was clean. The only real problem i found was a really light knocking when it warmed up and the rust on the Fender and rear quarter panels.

I got home and i started it to get it off the trailer and smelled the sweet scent of burning coolant :cry:

Pulled the dipstick and sure enough it was milky. I figured that the Slight knock could be caused by the BHG so i tried to kill two birds with one stone and swaped in a new head gasket, torqued the stock head studs to *76? i cant remember the number* and fired her up with some fresh plugs and all new gaskets up top.
IMG_0817.jpg

Yeah that didnt work. it ran like a champ untill it was warm, then the oil pressure dropped and it started knocking again, eventually stalled out. I work at Valvoline, so i knew that i just needed a thicker oil to keep the pressure up when its warm. The owners manual says it can use up to 20w50. i picked up some cheap ass Autozone oil and put it in with some lucas too. it still knocked, maybe even louder.

I got fed up and called it quits for the night. went inside and ordered some engine goodies:naughty: il post em tomorrow

Lemme know what you guys think so far