86 MK3 7m-gte Track star prep

FuzzayD

Dec 14, 2011
christchurch
I bought an 86 MK3 7m-gte to use as a track car, i've been drivng it round for about a year and now the time has come to put the bitch up on blocks and start fucking with her.

First up i've removed my v1 7mgte motor, still on standard sizes on everything. Only fault i've found is the center main bearing has chenobyled.
Plans for the motor are cp pistons and probably machined and balanced rods and balanced and nitrided crank.

i'm also pricing up stroking the motor, but we will see what happens.

FuzzayD

Dec 14, 2011
christchurch
yeah 86.5
Hmmm not looking good so far, the crank is bent and the block has corrosion damage around the coolant holes that is too close to the bores.
I don't think i'll find another block anytime soon i might try metal spraying or bronze welding the areas.
Do any of you guys know how much material can come off the block before things get fugly?

Last edited:

FuzzayD

Dec 14, 2011
christchurch
So i've bought a 2jz-gte vvti i'm looking to sort out everything i'll need for the conversion before my motor gets here from japan. I plan on making custom mounts and getting a drive shaft made to suit where ever i end up placing the motor.
My main concern is utilizing the factory 86.5 digital dash. I plan on using a standalone engine management system probably microtech.

Last edited:

FuzzayD

Dec 14, 2011
christchurch
My engine is due to arrive soonish and before i begin converting and rebuilding it i wanted to test run it without the ecu. does anyone know if this is possible?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
No.
You need something to control injectors, spark...everything.
Certainly you can crank it to check compression, though.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. 2jz is sequential fuel and ignition. 7m is batch on both. You would have to wire it for batch just to test it.

FuzzayD

Dec 14, 2011
christchurch
Ok i used my 7m ecu injectors and ignition system and it worked fine my next step is to mount the engine and wire it all up properly

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
plans for suspension? motor swap was a good start, 2jz will take a lot more abuse at the track. 7m's aren't bad rebuilt but it's nice to have a motor you can redline a lot safer and longer.

FuzzayD

Dec 14, 2011
christchurch
I'm just going to keep my d2 coilovers and most other things stock. its come to a part in the build where i could either do a ground up rebuild or just slap my engine in and run as is.
The motor doesn't sit back as far as i wanted before it hits the firewall. And the specs for the japanese nostalic race series i want to enter are apparently under revision so i might just pause my build for awhile incase i modify something im not allowed