86.5 Foglight Rewire...Blowing my fuses!!

thinhman

Feb 7, 2009
Garden Grove
Okay starting off I have an 86.5. I know that is crucial information because I guess the wiring is categorized into three sections. The pre89 does not cover 86.5; they're a separate entity?

87-88
89+

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

So this is what I did:
I cut the red/black wire from the fog light switch and taped up the wire going back to the dash. I then splice the one going to the fog light with my defroster's white/black wire.
Moving on to the fog light relay, there were TWO white/green wires going into the same socket....so I just spliced the fuseholder into ONE out of the two. I then sourced the wire to the cigarette lighter (15) and put a (15) fuse into the fuseholder.

So when I turned on JUST the foglights, it worked fine. They turned on independently from the headlights. So nighttime came around and then I turned on my lights...my left driverside headlight went out and so did the fogs.
I did not check the headlight's bulb or fuse yet so that is a bit unclear, but I'm assuming the fuse blew for the driver headlight as well. The passenger works fine.

As for the foglights, I checked the fuse and it blew!! So I put another (15) fuse in and turned on the fogs only. And the fogs worked again, but once I turned on the headlights the fuse in the fuseholder blew again!!

I haven't checked my headlight fuses but I'll go out and check it now.

Anyone have any info? Once again this is for a 86.5

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: went to check my headlights; took them off and found out that it was just the solder points on the harness that ripped off. so I'm assuming that is why my driverside headlight was not working.

my foglight problem still remains though =[
do I splice it with another wire from the relay or do I wire it with both the white/green wires?

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The fog lamps have their own power and ground circuit, seperate from the headlamps. The only thing you are doing is supplying power and ground to the control side of the relay, and out othe headlamp circuit.

It is the headlamps that power up the fog lamp relay. On most of them. Seems like the 86.5 was different from other posters comments.

I don't know what wire is what color, and yes, you should have your year EWD.

So, redo the wiring.

Post the 86.5 EWD if you have it. I don't. There is no reason to splice into the defrost. Well, you need a power supply for the relay, but I would use B+ from the dome lamp. That is what I did with my 91. The relay is low current, and will not blow fuses.

thinhman

Feb 7, 2009
Garden Grove
Here's a link to the 86-88 UK TEWD. I don't know if there's a difference from USDM or UKDM but here is what I found.
http://www.turboninjas.com/mk3supra/others/86-88%20UK TEWD.pdf

As for splicing it to the defroster, I somewhat followed dylanwiggins example. He did his by wiring it up with the defroster; that is what I originally followed along with Jeff Lange's part as well. He did his relay with the white/green wire; which I have found two going to the same spot? So I'm not too sure where to go about on this.

I guess I'll splice it into the cruise instead; that's what Jeff did.
Anyone else want to add in?

thinhman

Feb 7, 2009
Garden Grove
BLACKLINE;1314765 said:
I heard it works great if you wired it to the light under the dash.

as in the relay or switch? that light actually doesn't turn on for me anymore. =[ it used to work; I think I just blew the bulb for that one, I never checked.

mkiii222;1314883 said:
http://www.azsupracentral.com/elect...ewire-to-come-on-without-the-headlights-.html

Only 86.5 specific one I could find on short notice.

Mentions using the Red/Black and Red/Green. I'd say running the White/Green somehow it's shorting out.

I don't exactly understand that method. Is he not splicing the relay up at all? The way he worded everything sounds like he is only using the fog light switch itself. This is what it sounds like he is saying:

1. Put a fuseholder under a (15) fuse (in this case tails), and run that wire to the 2nd from bottom wire (red/black).
2. Take the bottom wire of the foglight (red/green) and he says "run it next to the foglights". Does that mean the relay? And then attach it to the (red) wire of that thing he's talking about. Someone want to clarify this for me?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It doesn't actually matter where you get power to activate the relay. It is low current, and won't blow fuses. Somewhere, he spliced high current to a low current circuit.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
thinhman;1314966 said:
as in the relay or switch? that light actually doesn't turn on for me anymore. =[ it used to work; I think I just blew the bulb for that one, I never checked.

Do you understand relay circuits? Don't get insulted if I ask questions, I don't know where you stand.

The switch completes the circuit for the control side of the relay.

I don't exactly understand that method. Is he not splicing the relay up at all? The way he worded everything sounds like he is only using the fog light switch itself. This is what it sounds like he is saying:

The switch will die if you hard wire it. That is excessive current. Unless you wired the switch to the ground side. But you should just use the switch for the control side of the relay.

thinhman

Feb 7, 2009
Garden Grove
Nick M;1315321 said:
Do you understand relay circuits? Don't get insulted if I ask questions, I don't know where you stand.

The switch completes the circuit for the control side of the relay.

The switch will die if you hard wire it. That is excessive current. Unless you wired the switch to the ground side. But you should just use the switch for the control side of the relay.

No offense taken; I don't know too much about electrical. I'm asking because I don't know.

Okay now I think about it. I think I know what I did wrong. For the relay, I connected three ends for the fuseholder. I did not tape off the end going into the dash. I merely fused all three wires; I'm guessing that is what caused the surge?