7mgte won't rev past 3000 rpm (misfires)... help!!!

88boosted1

Oct 14, 2010
Supp peep... just recently I started feeling the car misfire any where from 2500-3200 rpm... became frequent enough 2 where I can not drive @ highway speeds or WOT for that matter. I've searched the forums & I know this has 2 b a common or if not an unusual problem but have not yet found a definitive answer. I had changed the plugs & gapped 2 .31 but still the same. I'm thinkin it could b either the tps, afm, or cps sensor... although I've replaced the cps sensor b4 4 a no start issue & replaced the afm twice 4 being fouled. When my afms went out the car would idle fine and bog/die if u gave it gas that is why I do not believe my afm is bad... @ the moment the car would idle & drive fine up until I try & punch it above 3k. What gives? I've also found that the ecu has similar symptoms if it has entered limp mode... can someone enlighten me?

Codes @ the moment: 43 & 52

Mods: 88 7mgte
Rebuilt 7mgte, rebuilt head, hks metal head gasket, 3" turbo back, spearco intercooler, upgraded turbo, hks bov, afpr, hks fcd, greddy emange blue, profec b controller, stock injectors, stock fuel pump, mishimoto fans. Future upgrades 2 come

Last edited:

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Also check your spark plug gaps as they might be to wide and boost is blowing the spark out. and check ur vsv for the fuel also. mine cam undone and i had this exact issue.

88boosted1

Oct 14, 2010
Thanks 4 the reply... I had rewired knock sensors so no that unusual 4 me 2 see tha code pop 4rm time 2 time w/out the car being tuned... yet. Code 43 popping which I am assuming a lost rpm signal until 800 rpm... either loose wire connection or ignition circuit mod I had done while installing the e-manage which still needs 2 b tuned. I got it dialed 2 where it is decent 2 drive although not pushing her 2 far w/out a dyno tune. The car might of popped those codes 4rm time 2 time which I will tackle in the near future but the car was still running fine up until now which is why I suspect another area of problems. Any further diags would b appreciated.

88boosted1

Oct 14, 2010
Will re-check vacuum lines... What gap do u guys recommend? eventually I want to run 12 psi & 14 for high boost setting if my current set up is as forgiving.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Spark plugs would be for misfires but they would not be the cause of a motor not reving past 3k.

88boosted1

Oct 14, 2010
Got her running again... vacuum hoses checked out fine... I had inspected wires to tps, cps, isc sensors & they looked fine. The only thing I had done differently was de-tune my e-manage & reset my base timing. The car is running rich and when she mis fires the ecu senses the knock & tries to correct itself which I am assuming might of put the ecu into limp mode when no real corrections have been made and continued driving of the car. After changing, my plugs I did notice timing had been advanced plus fouled plugs had also played a roll since the car hasn't had an official tune.

jfbimkiii

Apr 7, 2011
MTL
I have same kind of issue with my 7m on aem ems. moisture keep getting into the plug area and the result is slight misfire around 2500-3000 sometimes its worse and the taco needle jumps hardly. changing my leads seem to have help but drying out the plug area and leads with a rag is what helps the most with misfire. you can look for cracked coil maybe wather in it... if you did wiring mods on your car you should also look for cps signal not interfering with others i know this could cause misfiring.
have you tried to look at lead wire at night, if fire jump you will see it.