7mgte timing question

pelper87t

Oct 19, 2008
paterson nj
hey guys been here a while but this is maybe my second post. any the question is this;
my timing belt tensioner broke while driving the car, i neutraled the car and pulled over right away. i sent the car to be repaired with a new timing belt and tensioner but the guys said the car wouldnt start.
i did notice that the timing cover was not on the engine,but i know valves could be damaged but to what extent? anyone experienced this?

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
valve cant be damaged because the 7m is a non interference engine.
the timing might just be off.. check the cps make sure everythings at tdc, etc..

EOS

Obsessed with photography
Feb 27, 2008
St Louis, MO
As others have said, it’s a possibility is that he had the engine at TDC on the exhaust stroke, not the intake. Another possibility would be that a wire going across the top of the engine to the CPS got broken. You could also try starting the car as someone pushes in on the CPS connector and wiggles the wires slightly. I say this because the CPS wires undoubtedly got moved around during the timing belt swap. Somehow, my factory CPS connector went bad, causing the engine to die. It wouldn't start until I replaced the connector.

Joe