7mgte starting issue and a couple other things vid inside

Jtsan

Jul 10, 2011
Brockton MA
OK so ever since I bought my MKiii I have had starting troubles. It ended up being more than one issue I had. One was the igniter. I replaced that. Then I found the CPS wires at the connector broken and falling a part. So I got some new connectors and re-solder them back together. After fixing those I finally got it running. It would start fine when cold, but when warmed up it wouldn't start. The tach would move but it would just crank and crank. I had good spark and my AFPR said I had good pressure. Then I started reading up on the FPU vsv. I go to look under the intake and found that I didn't have one. The PO had deleted a lot of vacuum lines and emissions related stuff. So I bought a new one and put it in, and also redid some vacuum lines. Now it starts up everytime, but I noticed when hot it seems like it barely gets itself running. LMK what you guys think. Is this normal? Am I just paranoid? First video is when I started the car first thing in the morning. Second is after doing some errands probably 10 mins after shutting her off. Notice the difference between the tach.
http://s836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/jefftsan/88 Supra/?action=view&current=IMG_0345.mp4
http://s836.photobucket.com/albums/zz287/jefftsan/88 Supra/?action=view&current=IMG_0347.mp4

On to the next one. I'm trying to replace everything that the PO removed. One being the charcoal canister. The hose on the bottom of the canister goes into the frame, but where does it go after? I've looked under the car but could find where it comes out of.
Not the the canister is upside-down. I'm referring to the steel tubing.
p1821966_1.jpg

The hole in the middle is where it should go, but then what?
p1821966_2.jpg

And the last question. Where does this connect to?
p1821966_3.jpg

Its around the area where the charcoal canister bolts up to.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Charcoal cannister:
The bottom pipe doesn't go anywhere else; it vents down there.

That vsv looks to be for the heater core valve on the firewall.
It's supposed to be mounted right under the valve, currently located above it.

Edit:
Beat me by 3.22 seconds, JJ.
:biglaugh:

Jtsan

Jul 10, 2011
Brockton MA
Thanks for the responses.

But on the subject of the starting issue. Might have confused you a bit. I'm not talking about where the idle sits. Notice in the second video that the rpms go from 500 then smooths out at 800. Before I put the FPU vsv it would go to about 500rpms then stall right after that. Even giving it a little throttle would not make a difference, it would still stall and not start back up. Now that the vsv is in it feels like its going to stall, but then would catch itself and idle smooth at 800rpms. Is this something I should worry about?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I don't think the FPU is involved even though your problem could be caused by a touch of vapor. Check the resting fuel pressure, codes, and the idle speed control valve. Verify all vacuum hoses are correct and there's no pirate air.

Brockton eh? I'm a native south shore masshole. Born in Plymouth and grew up in Rockland. Lived in Whitman a few years after getting married. Been gone from that area a long time though.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
It may be an odd old school idea, but sometimes a Fuel Pressure Regulator failing can be the issue. When FPR is acting up, the vehicle will start fine when cold, but hot starts will create an issue as well as causing much needing to feather the throttle in a parking lot.

I'm not aware of a 7M and FPR replacement have been in the same sentence before, but.. simple test: Fire up Supra and pull Vacuum line off of FPR and see if fuel comes out.
Or there's always the IAC... or mayhap TPS...

Sorry.. didn't actually watch the vids... just basing this off what you wrote...

Edit: What jetjock said... methinks he types faster

Jtsan

Jul 10, 2011
Brockton MA
Pulled codes many times. Never any codes. Checked rest pressure per tsrm and got 38psi. I redid all vac lines when I put in the new FPU vsv so those should be ok. Haven't checked the idle speed control valve yet. I'll do that next and come back with results.
Thanks for the input Mryuk. I'll also check those as well and come back with results.
On a side note, when it didn't start before I jumped the fp and b+ terminals in the diag box. I heard the fuel move and also felt it. But when I went to start it it would just crank. Should it start if I jump the two terminals? Never could find an answer for that.
And jetjock, once a masshole always a masshole. Hahaha it's always going to be in you.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It should start just fine with the fuel pump jumped on. In fact that duplicates what happens during normal cranking. That the engine didn't start could indicate a leaky injector or FPR as Mr Yuk stated. Try holding the pedal full down next time and see if anything changes and again, check fuel pressure after the pump has been off 5 minutes. It should hold to at least 21 psi. From the sound of it you checked pressure only with the pump running.

Any other questions, see here: http://tinyurl.com/5dkk5

Last edited: