7mgte Slight Crank Wobble

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
About 1 1/2 years ago i had to change my timing belt on my 7MGTE along with the tensioner pulley and the idle timing pulley due to the small guide on it breaking off and my belt was rubbing against the front plate/guard. (Luckily that thing kept it on) Did tons of research and tackled the whole job in my backyard and was successful. Got it running smooth.

But now after a year and a half has passed my crank/harmonic balancer has started to get a slight wobble in it. At idle I get this slight resonating squeak with a couple ticks here and there (haven't determined where from). The ticks get louder at about 1200rpms but then everything goes away over 2000rpms and it seems to balance quite nicely. Now my stock fan has always a one blade that is slightly off but i doubt that will create much of an issue.

This is my daily driver, should i just tackle is since its the weekend and pull everything off to see how it looks or just go outside right now and put the big ole heave ho on the bolt and try to get it tighter.

Edit: Woops wrong section, if a mod could move to 7M-GTE section that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Now i forgot to mention when i replaced the timing, last time i had the crank pulley off that little key had made a slight groove in the crank.
So if and when i replace the crank pulley i assume in time i will be getting the same effect that it is in now?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pics would help. As there is supposed to be a groove to hold the key in place. Also the pulley should be torqued to 198ft lbs.

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
The groove was slightly warped on the left side, slightly rounded instead of straight. Im going to get an OEM crank pulley and when i have it off ill post some pics.

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Well unfortunately the OEM crank pulleys from Toyota are OOP. I guess im going to have to go used or aftermarket. I looked up on an ATI pulley but im not sure if i have to get it tuned. Any recommendations?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Don't need to get it tuned to run a ati or fluidampner. And it wouldn't be tuned with could fully balance with rotating assembly when being built.

A good used stock one would work as well.