7MGTE oil pressure

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
My 7M makes about 10 psi at hot idle and about 35 on the highway. This is using 5w-30 synthetic. Oil pump has been shimmed 5mm. Basically between the low pressure and all the rod knocked 7M's I see, I worry about it. Is this pressure normal?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
particularly considering that you're using synthetic.
I've always had slightly lower pressure readings with it vs. dyno oil.

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
There has been much written about oil pressure vs: oil flow in earlier threads and some have rather strong opinions about this issue. Stock spec's for oil pressure are lower than yours, and the most members seem to believe that your numbers are entirely adequate. For other performance engines I have always used the rule of 10 psi per 1000 rpm, however the 7M is reported to need less. In spite of all those who claim the 7M pumps flow high volume at low pressure and thus you don't need the higher numbers we might be used to on other engines, Aaron at Driftmotion offers a modified oil pump which is claimed to increase oil pressure to about 15-18 at hot idle. Perhaps he knows something the other "experts" don't.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Your oil pressure is fine. Run an extra quart over full.

If you want to look at the pressure you need a diagnostic gauge anyways. The stock oil gauge is about as accurate as a special ed kid in math class anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Thanks for the info. I run 1/2 quart over full. I also looked at a friends MK3 and it had about 5 psi at idle. So I feel better.