7mgte missfire/stumble on aem

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Posted this on SF with no luck so I thought I'd post it here.

To start off, I purcased a running 91' turbo mk3 supra for the straight body. Car ran great no problems.

I swapped my running 7m running with maft pro out of my 1990 turbo into the 91' shell with the 91' harness. (Better unmolested harness). Engine ran great and made 416hp..no problems.

Put the engine in and installed aem v2. Had some problems syncing timing but got the figured out, car starts every time now! I'm running a gm AIT sensor and aem 5bar map sensor and setup in the wizard to read them.

So now the problem I'm having. The car will idle great but any time I give it any gas it sputtters a lot. Timing jumps around quite a bit all the time, weather its idling or I'm trying to give it gas.
I'm running on stock ignition system, rc 550 injectors, afpr, and an hx35-62mm turbo. Im trying to upload a video of the timing jumping around. I can also upload a copy of my calibration file and maybe one of you could figure out something that is setup wrong

its an AEM 30-6050 box from driftmotion with adapter harness

I also have a dh61 igniter wired up to plug straight into the factory plug but I'm unsure of how to setup the aem box to read/operate it properly

Thanks for any help!

car is straight piped for now until i makes it down to the exhaust shop. hopefully soon!

timing:
[video=youtube;eLIt4QSRo40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIt4QSRo40&feature=youtu.be[/video]
stumble/backfire: (hard to tell with phone camera)
[video=youtube;hdi9piiIur4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdi9piiIur4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

RS713

Jul 18, 2012
Guam
Just throwing some ideas out there, have you checked to see if the tank is clean. Specifically the pump? The reason I say the pump is because i don't know what the mods were for the straight bodied supra, but you swapped in your motor with rc 550 and all supporting mods. I'm assuming you did everything correct, but it could be that the pump on the straight body car was on its way out. Long shot but just a thought....

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Its a possibility, but would the pump itself make my timing jump around like that? I did not check the tank or pump. I'm getting steady fuel pressure at my fpr.

I have a brand new aem 320 I'm waiting to install until I figure out the issue. Don't want to keep adding more things that could be wrong into the equation

RS713

Jul 18, 2012
Guam
I would think it could mess with timing. For example if your pump is pushing out less fuel then it should, then the computer would correct and adjust accordingly. I'm not 100% sure though, but it wouldn't hurt to drop the tank and take a quick peek at the tank and pump. If your motor was running correct prior to the engine swap, and all the wiring was done correctly, then that would leave items that you didn't swap over. Tank, pump, filter (which I doubt but would hurt to check), fuel lines.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
I will check into those. Also has a new fuel filter installed.
I did drive the 91' car around for a bit and ran great on the stock engine before I pulled it.

I've also heard of problems with the aem not being able to read the cps properly and re-gaping it down, but my stat sync is on so I didn't think that would be an issue

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There has been a ton of threads in the past with the stock 7m cps. I'd look more into that to start.

That's assuming that all your setting are correct.