7mgte Idles low when warm - close to stalling

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
Since yesterday it's been idling low as soon as it warms up. When it's cold it's fine and idles around 900 which is what it has always been. But after driving for a few mins every time I let off the gas or put the clutch in the revs drop fairly quickly, which makes gear changes a bit rough. When I either come to a stop or leave the clutch in it sounds like it's so close to stalling and then revs around 5 - 600. It hasn't completely died yet, but it certainly isn't running 100%. When letting off the gas in any gear it's also very rough as well, it kind of jutters more than usual for a bit.

Nothing has changed in the past few months, and yes I do have aftermarket BOV on it, but that's been on for almost a year now. I did give it a good run yesterday during a cruise, and since then it has been playing up.

Thoughts?

ryanhafer91

Jan 29, 2012
Lakewood
If you cover the face of the bov (where the air comes out) you may notice your idle to instantly improve. Or if you stick your finger inside to feel if it is open at idle. When you hit boost, it should close up. If this is your problem, you need a new bov. It could also be air going into your system through various vacuum leaks. Check for any vacuum leaks and check the bov. If you have an SSQV it is HKS not Greddy.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
i saw this, and i have a ebay knock off ssqv also.its been installed now for about 4months. well anyways, it dont make the sound anymore. is this why i could possiblt be having the issue as wolf?

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
ryanhafer91;1817796 said:
If you cover the face of the bov (where the air comes out) you may notice your idle to instantly improve. Or if you stick your finger inside to feel if it is open at idle. When you hit boost, it should close up. If this is your problem, you need a new bov. It could also be air going into your system through various vacuum leaks. Check for any vacuum leaks and check the bov. If you have an SSQV it is HKS not Greddy.

Will try this. It was idling fine when I got home so couldn't do it.

Oddly enough tonight it was acting a little different. It was idling fine on the way home, I'd accelerate then put the clutch in and it would only drop to around 1000rpm, then I'd make sure to hit boost them put the clutch in and it would make a bit of a bogging sound and drop down to ~500rpm then slowly climb back up and come right.

This is different to what it had been doing, but proves it is definitely boost/BOV related?

Greek;1817817 said:
What's your boost gauge reading? A vacuum leak will show on it.

I haven't noticed it reading anything unusual. Around -20 - -25 vac and boosts normal.

mcammarn;1817842 said:
i saw this, and i have a ebay knock off ssqv also.its been installed now for about 4months. well anyways, it dont make the sound anymore. is this why i could possiblt be having the issue as wolf?

Mine still sounds normal.

ryanhafer91

Jan 29, 2012
Lakewood
Dude I would almost guarantee that it is the bov. This happend to me last month. I had a vacuum leak for about 2-3 months that I couldn't find. I got a silicone vacuum hose kit from http://www.hiperformancestore.com. It helped a little. Then I finally found out it was the BOV being stuck open at idle. And of course my 7mgte head gasket blew about a week later. If you don't mind losing the sound, you could get the recirculation kit and it should fix the problem. The easiest way to check if it is the BOV is to pull the hose off of the BOV and plug it with your thumb. If your idle instantly goes back to normal, your BOV is leaking.

Ryan

--Wolf--

May 8, 2009
Chch, New Zealand
No codes whatsoever.

It's now actually starting to completely stall. Stalled three times on the way home from just putting the clutch in and/or stopping.

Covered BOV with hand at idle, no different. Flap is closed as far as I can tell (can stick finger into BOV but not into pipe at idle)

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
mcammarn;1817842 said:
What is the location of your BOV? pictures?

ryanhafer91

Jan 29, 2012
Lakewood
Pull the hose off of the little pipe on the back of the BOV. Cover the hose with your thumb (more effective than trying to cover the whole face of the BOV). Try this and see if it improves the idle.

2012-03-20_18-02-10_851.jpg

Last edited: