7MGTE fuel issue HELP.....

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Hey all, Its been a while since Ive been active on the forums and I know the Knowlwdge base is very well verse on these cars so here is my problem

7MGTE
MKIV TT Fuel Pump
Stock FPR
Basic setup....

For a few weeks now Ive been driving the car with not knowing a Stock FPR from a Cressida/Supra 7M na engine (did Part Number Search). Issue Ive been having is if I let the car sit over lets say 2 or 3 days without driving it the car will not start, It constantly turns over but will not fire.

What I have to do is jump the FP and B+ on the check connector and you can hear the fuel being pumped up to the engine, as long as the check connector is jumped the car will fire right up and run just fine, let it run for 10 seconds and pull the jumper wire and no more issues until the next time I don't drive the car. even starts up fine the rest of the day.

Now the problem is that I go through the same sequence as listed above but as soon as I pull the check connector wire out the engine just dies. Fuel pump is good im assuming because the car keeps running with the check connector jumped. Only thing different is I replaced the FPR with a Used Turbo FPR

So does it sound like I have a Bad FPR or does it sound like my Fuel Pump is going out?

Any Ideas and Advice will greatly be appreciated

Thanks
Robert

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Sounds like the fuel pump isnt getting a signal from the column when you go to start it.

Do you have the 12V mod for the fuel pump?

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
No 12v Mod done.

Like I said this issue isn't something that just started, Its gotten worse though.

Question is why would it be hard for it to start without having the jump the check connector and why would it just die as soon as I remove the wire to jump the check connector.

Could it be a clogged Fuel Filter
Bad FPR or have u ever heard of them going bad....

Another senario would be I had a Weldon Fuel pressure regulator on prior to this and I know with the Aeromotive FPR when you turn the car off the system would hold fuel pressure ie... about 10psi on the gauge and slowly bleed out. With the Weldon one It would drop straight to 0 as soon as I turn off the Key.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
HIGHLY doubt its the filter...Toyota fuel filters are rated at a million miles

I think its the wiring to the pump. I think the pump runs on a switched power source, so when you turn the key to the on position it supplies power to the pump. when you jump FP and B+, I think you are just bypassing the switch. So when you pull the jumper, the pump is stopping.

Check your FP fuse

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ This. Loss of rest pressure is only an issue for hot starts. Means little for cold except a bit more time will be needed to build pressure. Your issue is obviously electrical. Either the pump isn't being powered during start or at all. Should be very simple to find.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
So what I have found is that all of a sudden I'm not getting any fuel up to the engine when the key is turned on or when u try and crank over the engine. I'm gonna check the fuel pump relay as soon as I can but I was also directed toward the open circuit relay.

Any ideas?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The fuel pump will not come on until the afm tells the Ecu that there is airflow.

You can jump fp and b+ in the diag box and see if the pump comes on.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supraguy31;2039280 said:
So what I have found is that all of a sudden I'm not getting any fuel up to the engine when the key is turned on or when u try and crank over the engine. I'm gonna check the fuel pump relay as soon as I can but I was also directed toward the open circuit relay.

Any ideas?

The circuit opening relay is the fuel pump relay, so yes. The fuel pump relay shown in the EWD is the two speed relay. The default position is closed to 12v. The PCM supplying a ground energies the relay to reroute through the resistor for 9v during low demand.

You should really check the entire circuit including that relay, which is on the passenger side under the hood. Have you checked fuel pressure to see what happens when you shut it down?