7mgte compression help

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
I just did a compression test and i got 175+- on cylinders 1, 2, 4, and 5. Cylinders 3 & 6 were at 125+-.

Test was done when car was at operating temp. After i did the test i read on the TSRM that i had to disconnect the cps connector. Could not having disconnected the cps cause low compression in those 2 cylinders somehow?

Or am i fucking screwed? Fml.

Edit: spark plugs #3 was white compared to the others and cylinder 6 was super red

edit: Just added oil in #3 and the gauge went past 300 psi lol must be the rings?

Also why would i have cylinders so far apart with bad compression? Whenever I'm coming to a stop while decelerating, I get a pretty nasty puff of smoke smells like burned oil, but other than that it doesnt smoke only on deceleration or if i let it sit at idle for a long time and then give it a little rev it'll throw a little puff.

edit: its also not all the time when im coming to a stop while decelerating, its only sometimes. could it be my valve stems that are causing low compression?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Smoke could very well be your valve stem seals. Valve stem seals will not affect compression test numbers. How many miles are on this engine? What kind of head gasket? What prompted you to do a compression test to begin with? How was the car running prior to the test?

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
99K miles original motor previous owner had the head rebuilt and new headgasket not sure which but i know its not a mhg but i do know the bolts are torqued past 85 ft/lbs. The reason i did the test is because ive had my brother and my cousin who both have had supras and they said somethings wrong. I am having turbo problems but im not so sure its the turbo anymore since ive just done the compression test

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
You should not be able to make 300psi compression just from putting oil in the cylinders. This motor doesn't have that much compression. I would remove all spark plugs, unplug the CPS and re-do the test. Make sure the throttle is open too. You will have to run it again before you do the test though, in order to get the oil out of the cylinders. Then add oil on the low holes and see what happens.
Ian

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
I would think the 300 is possible if he used too much oil . You only need a little to determine if the rings are bad on those two cylinders. Use too much and the oil has no where to go at first . Plus you could always do a leak down test afterward.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Yeah i think i used too much. I get a strong smell of burnt oil every time i come to a stop so im pretty sure it is the rings. Its weird though i dont have any codes the motor sounds fine it starts up sometimes it struggles but its never not started and it pulls pretty good with the ct26 at 14 lbs. But it starts to break up at high rpm

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like rings if with oil it went up.

Id also do a block test to make sure its not just a bhg.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Just because it went up with oil doesn't mean its the rings. I mean.. The oil doesn't have anywhere to go with good rings either, so it's going to be in there, increasing pressure..

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Will a leakdown test tell me wether or not my rings are the problem? How would i go about figuring out whether its the rings or something else?

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Cylinder #3
2pqn6sz.jpg

Cylinder #6
28g3r.jpg

Cylinders #1 - #6 Right to left
334rbme.jpg

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
So i got 175+- on 4 other cylinders and i managed to fuck up on 2 of them that aren't even next to each other how lol... i did the test right i just added too much oil cause i was pissed. and like the other guy said earlier, the cps being connected/disconnected doesnt matter

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
lol im going to try again tomorrow and use a small amount of oil. you know what i wish i did do it wrong and i have no problems lol