7MGE to N/A-T

ma70mkiii

Jul 16, 2007
ohio
I have a 1988 supra and it has a 7mge in it now. Well I also have a 7MGTE that is already torn down. I am sick of seeing it sit there and my GE needs to be torn down and have a few gaskets put in so I thought about N/A-T. I already read through the other forum but exactly how hard is it and how long can it take. I want my car to be more reliable than it is now b/c of commuting for work and a higher resale value b/c I am trying to sell it to get my 89 running. Plz can someone tell me a thing or to so I know how high I am going to be in crap!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Are you intending to drop the GTE in the N/A or turbo the GE engine?
I'm going to assume you're talking about rebuilding the GTE and dropping it in the N/A chassis:

How long could it take? - Years.

How hard is it? - How hard do you plan on making it on yourself? You've, presumably, already managed to pull and disassemble one engine so how confident are you that you can put it back together?

Reliability is also going to depend on you. Cheap out and cross your fingers or cough up and do things right... Get the block and head resurfaced, have the cylinder walls measured, install new rings, seals, bearings (where needed), all coolant hoses, all vacuum lines, oil pump, and so on.

Other parts you're going to need will include: IC, oil cooler, the plumbing for both, GTE ECU, N/A flywheel (unless you're going to swap the tranny too), GTE igniter and coil packs.... etc.

bigunitpitcher22

BoL Spartan051
Jun 13, 2006
vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
Reliability, stick with the GE. Resale, go with GTE. You'll have to way the costs of swapping or converting to turbo in with the cost of just selling it and see which comes out with more of a difference after the sale. Price it all out for yourself and go from there.

ma70mkiii

Jul 16, 2007
ohio
Well heres the scoop... I bought a car with the engine already dismantled. That is why i was considering a N/A-T. I have a full GE engine, but IDK wht isn't the w/ the GTE. I bought an 89 and that is wht the gte came with. I already had an 88 n/a which is the one i want to and do the n/a-t. The 89 I have a 1jz that im dropping in there and I want to turbo and sell my 88 so I can finish the swap. That or just say screw it and junk the gte and sell my n/a as is and move on. Either way im doin this finish my other build.

Mibba

Jun 28, 2007
Sydney, Au
I would just say screw it and sell it as N/A.

It going to be to much stuffing around to turbo it, where yo could just sell it. and Sell the GTE stuff off and finish the other car.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
So you're pretty much talking about swapping everything from the '89... that's a lot easier as you have all the parts, just make sure you're not going to need any of it for the 1JZ. If you're leaving the W58 in the '88 you'll need to swap the flywheels.. unless they're both auto.

Are you going to be working on this full time or just a few hours on the weekends? Full time, a number of people here would have it up and running in a few days, if not a couple.

When you're done don't forget to ship me the 7M-GE. ;)

ma70mkiii

Jul 16, 2007
ohio
well the only thing i need from the 89 is the motor mounts to go on my 1jz. I just need to get rid of my 88. It is costing me too much money. I have to keep 1 supra running and the other still not running. Know anyone that wants a supra? have a look:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2910185