7mge to 7mgte rotating assembly comparison questions

TKlamfoth

Jul 8, 2012
ohio
Hi, I have an 86.5 na supra that I recently blew up (broke studs for rod cap and destroyed rod) I am looking to go to a weisco piston and eagle rod assembly. My question is that these parts are specifically made for a gte engine and obviously mines a ge,the question I have is are the rods the same between the ge and gte? Like are they the same throw or not? And yes I understand going to a gte piston will lower my compression to a 9:1

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
GTE piston will lower your compression to 8.4:1. Rods are the same, as is everything else on the engine. Besides the obvious turbo drain/feed, intake and exhaust manifolds, pistons, oil squirters, and intake cam, everything is the same. And *gasp* everything is interchangeable.

TKlamfoth

Jul 8, 2012
ohio
Thanks that's what I needed to know and weisco pistons are for a gte but are actually Inbetween when it comes to compression ratio because they are advertised as a 9:1

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They will swap in fine. Just make sure you get the right size so the piston to bore clearance is within the spec of the piston.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Unless you plan on boosting the motor, I wouldn't use GTE pistons simply because you'll lose power. It would be a waste of forged pistons...

Also, GE blocks are missing oil squirters, oil feed and drain for turbo, and the 2 knock sensor locations (there's on on a GE and IIRC it's on a third boss in the block in the middle).

TKlamfoth

Jul 8, 2012
ohio
I'm hopefully going to run a wet nitrous kit on this motor and I just need something in the bottom half of the motor that can take that sort of abuse and I'm worried the factory internals won't handle it, plus it is nearly impossible to obtain a oem connecting rod and piston, plus the block has too be bored due to cylinder wall damage. and just to clarify so nobody makes a comment I will be running a metal hg and arp head bolts