7mge smoking idling weird

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
While in stop and go traffic today my temp guage went almost to red for about 5 seconds then back down to normal. After that i noticed it was idling weird while i was stopped. when i would rev it a little or start going some smoke would come out of the exaust momentarily. I pulled off the freeway and popped the hood, no smoke coming from under the hood and everything appeared to be normal. When i would rev it some smoke would come from the exaust and from underneath the car near the driver door, but none from the engine itself. Any ideas of what my problem is? would an exaust leak cause this rough idle and bit of smoke? Also when i got the car home it still had the rough idle but no smoke.... any feedback much appreciated.

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
how much does it typically cost to replace a bhg. i have a mechanic that charges about $60.00 per hour. I dont know if i want to deal with doing it myself.

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
I would say if you know how to do the job then do it if u can't take it to someone who will do it right I did mines myself last year and it cost just about 1000 with all the parts and new seals, MHG, timing belt and redone head and all the Arp bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you do it your self if you dont need too much as far as hoses and such can do it for a couple hundred.