7mge n/a exhaust system

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Hello everyone

I am about to go through with fabricating an exhaust for my N/A and I really need help on this one.

I have bought headers, 6/2/1 I'm pretty sure this means more lower end torque. The headers come to an end being 2 1/2 inches with a flange. Is it okay to run a 2 1/2 inch system on our N/A's?

It's been suggested I come from the headers straight through with just a rear muffler, my plan is to go for a simple look so would like just the pipe to appear at the rear (no muffler)

I'm after a nice and loud sounding exhaust, post as many pictures as you like of your set up's so I can get an idea on what's best, list any recommendations please.

Thanks

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Cool thanks, I'm guessing since the headers come as 2 1/2 inch it is the size recommended... Could be wrong? So you have no mufflers/resonators at all in your system?

Need to know if it sounds better with the muffler at the rear or centre of the car, i anyone knows this from experience please let me know

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
A car with a turbo doesn't need a resonator because the turbo quiets it down considerably. Without a turbo, you will want a resonator or you'll be driving with earplugs in. And, not just a straight-through one.

I am very happy with my setup: 2.5" pipe, Hushpower II resonator, and a Magnaflow muffler. It's a little loud when you stomp on it and shift at redline, but isn't bad when cruising. It's actually quieter at 3k than 2.5k rpm because it resonates. The sound is really nice. I'm running the stock manifold, pipes, and cat.