7mge issues

celica fanatic

7m mkII
Oct 9, 2007
Martin georgia
First off, I recently tore it down. It has new gaskets through out, new head gasket, arp head studs torqued to 90 foot pounds. No oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil. Compression is good across the board. Plenty of power. My problems are that it's running rich, doesn't start when its hot, and it's smoking, with a little oil coming out of the exhaust. I recently bought ad installed a new coil, and my igniter will be here soon. I'm thinking it's the valve stem seals, and the crazy rich condition is thinning the oil. I have installed a new Toyota fuel pressure regulator, and that made no difference. What else would cause them to run rich? It's something small, it has to be, because it's too powerful, and runs too good to be something big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF-ApGzOJwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fv_JVwdLdI&feature=related

celica fanatic

7m mkII
Oct 9, 2007
Martin georgia
I didn't add new rings to it. It is used. I believe around 115,000 miles. It's a '87 7mge in a '82 L-type. Did the '87 have a knock sensor? I don't remember seeing one on the block..

88 Blue_Dragon

Wish i hadn't sold my sup
Dec 3, 2008
Beaverton, Or
yes it does. it screws into the block on the intake side. about mid way, maybe a little closer to the front. i don't have a pic or i'd put it on here

celica fanatic

7m mkII
Oct 9, 2007
Martin georgia
Oh, well I better go look at my block...

*edit* Just checked, it is hooked up.

If I go out to start the car, it has no spark. Turn it over about 30 seconds, it sparks, and starts. Turn it off, no spark. Turn it about 5 seconds, sparks, starts. What would cause this? New coil, ignitor, plugs, wires, dizzy cap, and button. Everything in the starting system is new. I just don't know why it's sparking one minute, and not the next..

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I'm not sure right off what's up with your spark, but have you checked the cold start injector timer switch? If the cold start injector is running all the time it'll run very rich.

Next, have you checked for any codes from the FI computer? That's always a good place to start. Is your O2 sensor working? How old is it?

Next thing to read is the TSRM. There are nice troubleshooting flow charts to follow.

Oil in the exhaust is not a good sign.

Check your engine and ignitor grounds. Make sure they're clean and tight. Sand them down with 220 sandpaper if they're not clean.

celica fanatic

7m mkII
Oct 9, 2007
Martin georgia
I have checked the cold start injector. I actually believe that it doesn't work. I also unplug it and try to start the car, and it's no different. I haven't checked for any codes, because the '82 dash has no check engine light. I'm going to swap in a newer dash soon to fix that though. My grounds are all good, I sanded all areas during the install. To tell you the truth, I think a ring is the oil issue.. Sadly.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
If you have the 7mge engine computer, there is a pin for the check engine light. You should be able to read any codes directly with a voltmeter or lamp off that pin.

Last edited: