7mge into 87 fc rx7

FC7mge

Feb 12, 2008
Pensacola
Whats goin guys the names Kendrick and I'm currently working on a rx-supra. I'm posting this to see if anyone can give me any tips on this motor. To start I have an 89 jdm 7mge, I've already broken it down and cleaned most of it. I also started the MHG project might as well since the engines out now. From what i've read you don't really have to shave the block or anything just make sure it's a clean surface right? I've already gotten the head resurfaced and just picked up my head studs today. I have the HKS beaded metal HG and genuwine toyota bolts both brand new. So tell me guys am I headed in the right direction?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
both of your surfaces need to be the flattest possible with a MHG im pretty sure that means shaving the block so its perfectly straight but maybe somebody can shed more light on that.

i gotta ask too why not a gte of some sort?

FC7mge

Feb 12, 2008
Pensacola
GTE...............hmmmm where should I start. To tell the truth there's nothing wrong with them just wanted to drop something simple in it for now. If i'm correct GE GTE are pretty much the same size, so later on I might just swap it but as for now it's a start. But hey do any of you guys know the head bolt tightening sequence? I'm actually putting the HG job back together now.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
OneJoeZee said:
Why a GE?

Maybe because an FC only weighs ~2700 lbs? :dunno: Thats a lot of power for something that light.

Click my sig link for some help with the head sequence. ;) **Post 19 will contain the pertinent info. Adjuster has a great guide of sorts around here. I read that about 5 times before doing my head.

I'm confused because you said you got head studs and then said you got toyota bolts. :dunno:

If you have the block out I would take it to get the block shaved and straightened. If you do that and the head work is done well you should never have to worry about the dreaded BHG problem that has infected many of us here at some point. :)

I think the GE in a lighter car like an FC would be SWEET!!!

Enjoy and please start a build thread so we can see the progress!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
ive been wanting to put a ge into a mazda for a while now...except mine of choice would be my dads old b2200 pickup :)

FC7mge

Feb 12, 2008
Pensacola
Thanks for the info bro.......... and I have the ginuwine toyota head bolts .........sorry for that. I kind of figured that since i'm not building a n/a screamer than those would hold up just fine. I read some threads and most of the guys were talking about how the stock bolts are good enough. I'm actually suprized on the feed back to because GTE are so popular. before I desided to actually go for the swap I found one other guy that was putting the turbo version in an rx7 but I don't know what year. Half way threw I think he gave up from what I gather........he sad it was more bad than good but I think with the right fab work anythings possible, but I'm really doing the swap to be different. As far as the HG job I think I got it done correctly, so now after my gasket set comes in the mail, I can start dropping that inline beast inside. One other question for you guys though................ What would be a good way to set up the coil packs? I pretty much got most of the wiring figured out just thats where I'm stuck.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
i have an RX-7 and i would really like to put my 7m-ge as well but i've searched and found how to put a 7m-gte into an FC.

you have to cut the firewall back 4 inches. not ready to custom fab up too much work for it yet.

FC7mge

Feb 12, 2008
Pensacola
I mean would I have to set up like a msd single coil pack set up or something?..............I think I might know a way just gotta find out if the 7mge has a internal coil. Would any of you guys know this?...........................That thread that you read was about the gte thats kind of where I got the idea from but you don't have to nessacerly cut 4 inch's into the fire wall , thats just if you wanna try and keep the rx-7's 50/50 weight balance. I'm not to much worried about it right now because theres always suspension.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
Yes it's set up as a "traditional" distributor set up found on most domestics prior to the coil pack design. One coil sends power to the distributor and it, not the coils sends power to the spark plugs.

Solle

MKIII drift3r
Nov 5, 2007
St.Louis MO
www.driftstl.com
OneJoeZee;928929 said:
Why a GE?

just what i was wondering

Ma70.Ent;929051 said:
You should post up a build thread in the Gallery/Build section :)

+1257547342353

suprarx7nut;929069 said:
Maybe because an FC only weighs ~2700 lbs? :dunno: Thats a lot of power for something that light.

Click my sig link for some help with the head sequence. ;) **Post 19 will contain the pertinent info. Adjuster has a great guide of sorts around here. I read that about 5 times before doing my head.

I'm confused because you said you got head studs and then said you got toyota bolts. :dunno:

If you have the block out I would take it to get the block shaved and straightened. If you do that and the head work is done well you should never have to worry about the dreaded BHG problem that has infected many of us here at some point. :)

I think the GE in a lighter car like an FC would be SWEET!!!

Enjoy and please start a build thread so we can see the progress!

agreed but the ge STILL wont put out all that much power even in an FC
i think gte would be a better choice in the long run

why do something half ass, do it right the 1st time

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
I dont understand why you would do this, if anything I would put a 20B in a supra but then again I love rotaries :)

I think the car might be slower with the 7m in it. it weighs ALOT more than the 13b and only puts out like 40 more horses. Plus rotaries are alot easier to rebuild.