7MGE into 1st Generation 4Runner

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
Hi all,

First I'd like to say that everyone on this forum has been a great help!

I'm currently puting a ~'89 7MGE into my 1986 4Runner. I started off by swapping out my front IFS for a solid axle swap (SAS).

The Front

4.88 gearing
Mechanical locker
Solid axle swap
All Pro Off Road Springs

The Rear:

4.88 gearing
Tacoma TRD E-locker
Alcan Leaf Springs

This is the first project that I've ever embarked on. I had zero clue on how to weld/fabricate metal. Doing the SAS was just shy of a nightmare. I had never even considered the idea of cutting holes into my frame!
I almost crapped myself when I realized that my frame had been damaged. I did 3/16" plating to strengthen it.

Any bare metal has been painted with POR-15. I'm pretty impressed.

The actual motor swap has been a money-pit as well. I got the motor cheap from my friend, but off the bat, it was missing just about anything that you could think of. If anybody is thinking of doing this swap, BUY A COMPLETE SUPRA!!! You will save, save, SAVE! You won't just save on money. You will save on time. I've spent countless hours scouring the World Wide Web, EVERY craigslist add, and almost every junkyard in the country looking for parts. Not to mention the often-time, wrong part! Supra's are getting very, very rare.

I will have more to come! Here is a link to some photographs of my project. I deleted all of the ones with myself crying. . .

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i464/maestropowder/

Take Care!

Greg

IMG_0263.jpg

**UPDATE** Things are falling in place...SLOWLY.

[video=youtube;u6OQ-Xa8hY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6OQ-Xa8hY0[/video]

Last edited:

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
MySupra;1785134 said:
Good luck although a 7M-GTE would be beast. :D

Thanks for the good-wishes. A turbo would be cool, but my budget is ridiculously off. Plus, those 7MGTE swaps normally bust a crap-ton of drivetrain parts. They're so powerful!

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
rtrdpenguin;1785139 said:
Sweet. I considered putting my old 7M-GTE in my 88 4runner for a bit, but decided against it haha. What are you going to do for the radiator/fans?

If you have a car, I'd say do it. It'd be cool. But, if you don't it'll be pretty expensive and time consuming. I mean, the only "rare" find without a complete car, is the 5MGE motor mounts. But those are actually easy to find. I'm using a 3.0L radiator, with (qty)two 9" electric pusher fans. I believe that this will be just fine. But I also believed that the swap would take less than half of this time....

Thanks,

Greg

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
suprunner;1785174 said:
Thanks for the good-wishes. A turbo would be cool, but my budget is ridiculously off. Plus, those 7MGTE swaps normally bust a crap-ton of drivetrain parts. They're so powerful!

Torque does that to things:naughty:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Also what will you be doing for a transmission? Will the 4runners fuel pump move enough fuel to feed it? It looks like fun, I've been thinking of dropping my 1jzgte into an 80's 4runner as well..

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
IndigoMKII;1785179 said:
Also what will you be doing for a transmission? Will the 4runners fuel pump move enough fuel to feed it? It looks like fun, I've been thinking of dropping my 1jzgte into an 80's 4runner as well..

I will be using the stock W56 transmission that came in the 4Runner. The only thing different is the Supra W58 bellhousing is needed. You will also need a W58 clutch assy, slave cylinder, clutch fork, and TO bearing. I believe that my stock fuel pump will be adequate. I have seen a few swaps, and they seem to work. It seems that a lot of Yotas came with low fuel-line pressure.