7mge died randomly

amped12345

Aug 10, 2012
League City, Texas, United States
Okay guys so my 7m was driving perfectly fine . then it randomly started idling really badly at stops. i could barely keep it alive but once you started driving it was fine. i was trying to get it home. and it was driving normally full power on the road then the engine just stopped and died, and it wouldnt start again after that. so i towed to home. and attempted to start it again and what it did was start run like shit then die. I decided to first off replace the spark plugs since they have never been changed ever.. i noticed that the top of one of the plugs was broken so i fixed that started off with all new plugs. and it actually fired up this time but there was smoke everywhere. i assume thats bc i dropped oil on top of all the pistons. during this time when it was running and sputtering about. i didnt have the electronic piece with the pipe that goes into the intake manifold bolted up. so smoke was coming out of that spot too. so i decided to put everything completely back together that piece bolted up and everything. and it wouldnt start at all it catch for a sec then die. it almost seems like the starter couldnt even turn it. but when i took everything off the engine and including the spark plugs the starter could rotate the engine smoothly. and i could turn it by hand no issue .

amped12345

Aug 10, 2012
it pulled up codes, but they were all from when i was working on it i temporarily unplugged stuff. nothing major 12 , 22 , 24, 41, fuel flter, and pump are brand new, and it was running like shit. before it broke it was idling really badly at stops almost like a missfire, but when you gave it gas it would be perfectly fine , and as i was approaching my house at 45mph down the road. the engine just cut off completely didnt make any harsh noises or anything and i tried to crank it up and nothing. but as of now. when i attempt to crank the engine over it acts like it wants to start catches , then makes a bad sound a sound im sure its not supposed to make and it instantly dies. which is interesting cause when i took it apart afm off , throttle body off, spark plugs out, clutch fan , alternator, the engine would rotate fine by a wrench, and i tried turning it by the starter with all the stuff off and the starter could rotate the engine just fine...

REECE 89NA

Jan 1, 2012
Black Mountain, NC
A few years back my car was idleing terrible at stops (revs high then low, sputters etc..). I changed the TPS throttle position sensor and all has been well ever since. Hope thats
all in your case, was a fairly cheap fix.

chrisisg77

Jun 19, 2012
los angeles
So it doesnt have those codes?if not do a reset and check what codes it actually has . Because those codes are pretty serious

amped12345

Aug 10, 2012
alright i reset the codes and the light would flash rapidly when i plugged the battery up. but during the time i cranked it while in diagnostics mode, the light would flash rapidly until i cranked the engine and then it would pull up code 51 .. TPS i think?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
amped12345;1904223 said:
alright i reset the codes and the light would flash rapidly when i plugged the battery up. but during the time i cranked it while in diagnostics mode, the light would flash rapidly until i cranked the engine and then it would pull up code 51 .. TPS i think?

51 will come up in three situations. Bad TPS, throttle cracked open / misadjusted TPS, or A/C on.