7MGE CA Smog test aborts

jerry12345

Jerry
Jan 24, 2007
Elk Grove CA
I just took my 89 N/A out for a California pre sale smog inspection. It has only been driven 300 miles or so since last test (passed). They tested it on two machines and two different techs performed the test. In all cases the test was aborted because of “Acceleration Violation”. The techs told me that the state folks had come by and reset all machines to Default and thereby narrowed the tolerance of the machine. Normally they are quite knowledgeable regarding the problems but they are at a loss on this one. When it aborts there are no emission test results printed. Ideas?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like user or machine error. IDk for sure tho.

CA is getting stricter and stricter on the tests tho unfortunality.

jerry12345

Jerry
Jan 24, 2007
Elk Grove CA
Thanks,
They said mine was the 2nd failure for this that they have run accross. They even suggested that I try another shop. I may do that next week.
Thanks again, Jerry

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
User error. When you first start doing smog tests you get tons of aborts. You only get seconds to get to 15mph, then you have to keep it between 14 and 16 mph for a couple of mins, then jump to 25 and keep it there. Anything outside of that and it kicks you out of the test. Thats not easy with some cars. Especially cars that either like to be going or slowing, rear wheel drive toyotas are tough, but mercedes are the worst to keep at a constant speed, on a dyno. Then when the state comes and "recalibrates" the machine, everything feels different.

The "acceleration violation" is completely controlled by the technician and they should have asked to hold on to the car untill they had it handled, IMO.

jerry12345

Jerry
Jan 24, 2007
Elk Grove CA
Chip
Thanks, That is a confidence builder. Will try another shop. They did not charge me anything. Do you know if that is the rule for an abort?
Jerry

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
IF you pay for it they should smog it properly. If they cant get your money back. If it fails thats your fault but they still get you a print out and you still pay.

deomel19

May 23, 2011
San Diego, CA
I am having trouble passing my smog too. Also check the timing belt, if thats off it can affect the emission. Also I heard cleaning your EGR helps. I am not sure where it is located though.

mk3supraboy

Same here i was having trouble with my 88 supra but on the 3rd attempt it passed by 1 hydrocarbon haha and thats with rod knocks,slight misfire and burning oil haha but i live in ca and im getting my smog license soon and idk if it matters or not now but at the end of the test did the tech rev the engine a couple of times before the test was over cause that could cause the machine to lock up and not be able to test for a little while but i would recommend go to another shop to have them do it right