7M to 2JZ swapout - What functionality do I lose?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Okay. my 7M is pulled out and we will be preparing to drop in a 2JZ (automatic to automatic). These are the current options I have questions about...

1: Overdrive button on Automatic Transmission Lever.

2: ECT power button.

3: TEMS system.

I am assuming the TEMS system will still work manually (sensors no longer on the motor so automatic adjustment of Normal>Sport>Hard will be lost...) since I have the HKS EAC-T control module that allows me to dial in my shocks. I THINK Overdrive might still work since the MKIV's have the same feature on their auto trannies, but I'm not sure about the ECT system.

Any ideas?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
It's all in the wiring sir, if done right, you shouldn't lose anything. As far as the TEMS system, aren't the sensors wired into the body harness? If so, it comes back to doing the wiring...

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Makes sense. When I wrote the TEMS/EAC-T Bible a while ago my assumption was that the sensors were part of the block, NOT the harness. Now that I know that, I won't lose the auto functionality.

Just learned something new. So, next question (for updating my EAC-T thread anyway...) is: Do all the Supra harnesses have the 4 sensors built in them, even if the car does NOT have the TEMS module and computer from the factory?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmm... only one that would be odd is the steering angle sensor. Wonder if that's part of the speed sensative steering (since I think all TEMS cars had it?).

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Bumping my own thread.

The TEMS system actually does work fine, it reads all the necessary sensors and works as it should. Now, I have no appreciable difference in driving with ECT and Overdrive buttons on or off, which isn't surprising since I did nothing with either during the swap. Can either of these still work or does it really matter anymore? It's a matter of curiousity now.