7m running RICH

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Hey all, so I finally got my car running again after a rebuild and NA-T swap. The car is now running crazy rich.

At first the idle was really high (probably 2500) but it would stay running and it was throwing Code 51 (throttle position sensor).
After calibrating the TPS, Code 51 went away untill i touch the gas, the idle went down significantly but wont stay running without touching the gas.

Pulled the plugs and all 6 were showing just how rich it was running not to mention the streak of soot sitting behind the car.

During the rebuild the factory 440cc injectors were cleaned and flow tested. The O2 sensor is new. I had a spare ECU so tried that and no change. Smoke tested the vacuum system, no leaks. Checked the wiring from the ecu to the tps and it had good continuity.

At this point I am a bit lost so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220327_164051.jpg
    20220327_164051.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220327_164114.jpg
    20220327_164114.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
just the basics, but did you double check the timing? all of the wires to the AFM and CPS in good condition? you can disconnect the fuel injectors and just crank the engine to make sure your base timing is correct.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I was able to set the timing with the high idle but will recheck it.
Replace the wiring to the CPS (and knock sensor) with new ones from YotaConnectors.
Wiring to the AFM should be good but ill double check. And ill double check the mechanical timing but i doubt it would cause the car to run this rich if it was just off a tooth.

z06gette

Mar 28, 2022
Can you unplug the vacuum going to the FPR and see if it changes idle or the vf reading? Have you boost leak tested it from the start of the intercooler piping to the throttle, and then the intake?

Last edited:

z06gette

Mar 28, 2022
Check the tsrm, I can't recall the exact pins in the diagnostic box, but you hook up to a multi meter and read how the ecu is compensating (VF correction reading). For example, you could be pig rich but that's because the ecu is throwing the maximum or 5v added fuel to compensate for a LEAN condition. Based off of the reading you're getting you will know what the ecu is trying to do, and therefore can diagnose it.

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
First I checked for boost leaks, none. Then i double checked mechanical timing and CPS timing, good and good.

was able to source a replacement TPS locally. Installed, calibrated and tested it. No more code 51!

Now i get code 31... AFM
Let the parts hunt begin again.

Still need to read up on the vf signal and check that too

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Code 31 is your issue. With the AFM dead its just guessing at fuel. You might want to test the wiring continuity from ECU to the sensor. That part of the loom gets baked by the exhaust.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I was unlucky enough to find 3 bad AFMs before finding a good working one but I am finally rid of that code!

I checked all the wiring and measured continuity from the sensor to the ecu. Everything was good there so I was starting to question the ECU ae well as rhe AFM.

Now I still have the issue of code 51. I have no codes at idle but as soon as i touch the gas I get that code. Ill probably have to try another TPS.

The fun continues!

trofimovich

Jun 29, 2012
Russia
AFM can be cleaned. But it must be disassembled very carefully. On mine, the mixture floated from 16 to 12. Cleaning the AFM helped and now the mixture is 14.7
Dust appears on the film from old age and the readings go away.
It is important to save and not break the pins on which the thread with the petals is pulled.
Rub the petals with alcohol.

Attachments

• Снимоксывимываитпаь.JPG
    Снимоксывимываитпаь.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 13

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
In times past people said they sprayed MAF cleaner in it, after a K&N was in place for 75,000 miles. We don't have a lot of options in that regard. I bought an actual 1UZFE meter on ebay years back. It had the same electronic part with number from Fuji. And I could be remembering wrong. It's worth checking.

trofimovich

Jun 29, 2012
Russia
Sensors 1UZ and 7M have different characteristics.