7m gte

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
Just found out i think i have the 7m gte motor in my supra not the 1jz could someone tell me the difference and which one is better

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Need pictures for anyone to help.

1 turbo or 2?

All info is needed for anyone to help over the internet!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
7MGTE
p1866773_1.jpg

1JZGTE
p1866773_2.jpg

1JZGTE
p1866773_3.jpg

Most 1jz comes twin turbo, and come Only in the jdm supra, might come in the European supra but not sure. the 1jz comes with more lower due to the twin turbo. The 7m is a single turbo engine, it has less power then the 1jz. IMO I think the 1jz is a better engine, but this doesn't mean the 7m is a bad engine. 7m are notorious for having BHG. That is the one tbig thing about the 7m, if replaced with a metal head gasket, the 7m can be as reliable as any other engine.

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
Ya i have the 7m motor looks just like that top pic on the last reply its single turbo still fast but how is that motorw

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
91 1jz;1866754 said:
Just found out i think i have the 7m gte motor in my supra not the 1jz could someone tell me the difference and which one is better

I just want to bring up the elephant in the room....whats with your username???

I wanna put a boost control knob on it would that be smart

Nope. Not to sound mean, but if you don't know which engine you have (give you a hint, one of them is in big conspicuous letters on the front of the engine), you should probably not attempt to mod anything under the hood.

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
Not to sound like im comin back as an asshole but i dont know anything bout these motors thats why i joined the forum im use to honda and integra motors i thought it wS the 1jz motor my fault

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
I mean i know bout all honda and integra motors the b18b the b18a b16a b20 and so on use to mod em all up ive honestly never messed with or really looked at a supra

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Look around on the forum man. Use the search function, most of your questions will guaranteed be answered. If not then ask and someone will surely help you out.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
To reiterate, you've got lots to learn before you start modding your engine.

Boost control is an easy way to more power, it's also an easy way to your first engine rebuild. There are things that you should do first.

1. Check for HG leaks. A compression test, a leak-down test, or a block test kit. Any or all of these is your FIRST step.

2. Re-torque the head bolts. If your HG is good, then do this. 72 ft-lbs on stock bolts, and you're probably good for 10 PSI boost.

After that, you'll need to start changing stuff out. Lots of paths to go from here. Lots of good advise to be had here, if you ask well, and are willing to listen.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Keep all of your cooling system in tip top shape

Hoses
Water pump
Fan clutch
Fan
Fan shroud
Engine Under cover
Radiator

Don't wait for them to brake or crack before you replace them.