7M-GTE wont start after a rebuild

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Ok so after the fresh rebuild, I believe I have a few things wrong. Well heres a list.

1. No spark
2. No fuel
3. ECU isn't throwing any codes.
4. I think that's it.

So I hooked up a remote starter because i'm planning on doing the 12 volt starter mod. Tried turning it over and this is where I got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKiFKcYmTg

SO no I plan on testing the fuel pump, because just cause i'm not getting any spark, I should still hear a humming coming from the fuel pump. Then I will find out how to test the ecu for power, I believe it has something to do with the B+ wire. But.0
I have no idea how to test it so i will be doing a few searches.

If anyone else has any ideas on where else I should start please chime in and let me know.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Tps wont cause the car to not start.

I second on the ecu grounds. They can make there way to the starter very easy.

Jump fp and b+ in the diag box and go listen by the tank.

How did you check for spark?

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to on?

Did you prime the oil system with the efi fuse out and forget to put it back in?

IS the car cranking ok? Maybe the stock alarm is having issues as it will kill the starter circuit.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
hvyman;1743207 said:
Tps wont cause the car to not start.

I second on the ecu grounds. They can make there way to the starter very easy.

Jump fp and b+ in the diag box and go listen by the tank.

How did you check for spark?

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to on?

Did you prime the oil system with the efi fuse out and forget to put it back in?

IS the car cranking ok? Maybe the stock alarm is having issues as it will kill the starter circuit.

again grounds are bolted down tightly.

To jump the fuel pump, and b+ should I just run a spare piece of wire back there?

After hooking everything up and trying to crank it over, we just pulled a spark plug out and tried to see if it would ground out on the bolts holding the coil packs in, while we tried turning it over...it has done it before and shocked the hell out of me the first time.

The check engine light does not come on. Even when I didn't have the O2, and cps wired in, it didn't throw any codes. While being jumped with a wire in E1, TE1 I believe...whatever TSRM says to do.

This is funny because I did prime it, and did forget to put it back in. But after re installing the fuse, it still didn't crank over.

It sounds to be trying to turn over fine. I can also here it making compression, but it sounds a little loud but i'm thinking its because the rings haven't been seated properly yet. How else would the stock alarm effect the start up? Because I believe the alarm box was removed and the blue & brown wire I think, was grounded to the chassis. The car started before I broke the motor, no problem minus the 12 volt relay mod.

Something also that comes to mind is,I believe the car has a relay mod on the fuel system, cause after looking at a bunch of pictures comparing a stock engine bay and mine, there is no fuel pump relay.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
So the check engine light doesnt come on with just the key in the on position?

In the diag box there is fp and b+ just jump them like you do with the checking codes.

But if the check engine light doesnt come on with the ign in the on position thats your problem.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Let me search. I always for get what to do with that. Jetjock posted it a couple days ago tho. LEt me see if i can find it.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Check your engine relay in the fuse box in the engine bay and check the two fuses in the driver kick panel that run the engine relay...had the same problem...it was the kick panel fuses....

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats what i was talking about as well. He bypassed it to see if that was the issue and its not. I was talking to him on the phone thats why its not posted.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Yea sorry about ditching the thread, i'm texting you guys about everything so I over looked it.

Anyways, I have found multiple plugs that weren't plugged in, so now they are. But I have found that the ecu plugs aren't getting power to them. So i'm going to try jumping the ECU's power pin-outs to make sure there's a short somewhere in the harness, and not a fried ECU. So till then, still no start :(

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Sorry to bring this up again...but I had the same thing after a rebuild....no CEL, no b+ power....I swapped out the Main Relay and still nothing....then I found 2 fuses on the floor under the drivers feet...both had to do with Engine and/or ECU....plugged them in and made sure all the others were good and tried it again....still no go...I went back and put back in the original Main relay, it fired right up...the replacement relay was not even close to the right one, it plugged in, but was not right....bottom line...the Main Relay or the fuses in the kick panel will be your problem....

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
No all fuses and relays are good. Checked for power on the pinouts of batt, B+ and there was nothing ran a new peice of wire to both of these and I now have fuel and spark. I need to figure out how I'm going to start the car with the key but ill figure it out.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Have u tried pulling the relay and jumping it with a little wire there ???
Not the relay but like the relay would if it was working??
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk