7M-GTE minimum block/deck height

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
I've been searching around and I can't seem to find an answer for the question "what is the minimum block/deck height?" I would like to know what zero deck height is before I start decking the 3 blocks I have here at school so I know what the limit is. If anyone has some information please let me know. Thank you.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
IJ.;1328009 said:
Seen this question asked on many occasions, here's the HG's for dummies version ;)

1) Stock HG = 1.37mm compressed

2) Stock head = 116mm deck to valve cover surface

3) Stock block = 198.5mm from deck to main bearing saddle

If 2 and 3 are less that amount needs to be added to 1 to retain the stock compression ratio and squish/quench.

When resurfacing the Block be sure to take the Timing Case along to have it done at the same time or your new HG will fail in miles.

Block measurement = 198.5mm/7.81"

Taken from here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97552-Head-Gasket-thickness-selection

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It's whatever your machinist will do. TSRM proceedure is

Maximum warp (of block deck) 0.05mm (0.0020" ) If warpage is greater than specified, replace the cylinder block.
TSRM Page EM-74.

Which means that you aren't even supposed to machine that surface, according to Toyota. (Which is probably why we have to machine the front timing cover at the same time) As such, I would opine that if you can't get back to stock compression with a 2.0mm gasket, with equal amounts machined from the block and head, then your block and head are done. Given the measurements above, that would be a 0.3mm cut, or about 0.012" Mine has been cut 0.005" so there's about one more build in the block if I need to.

SmithElite12s

Feb 27, 2012
West Fargo, ND
Well I am the student machinist lol. That's why I'm asking before I just chop away at it. I already planned on the 2.0 gasket and JE pistons and Eagle rods so the C/R for the JEs are like 9.0 I believe is what they rate them at. So basically check for warp and try to take no more than a 5 cut (0.005")?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
SmithElite12s;1975059 said:
Well I am the student machinist lol. That's why I'm asking before I just chop away at it. I already planned on the 2.0 gasket and JE pistons and Eagle rods so the C/R for the JEs are like 9.0 I believe is what they rate them at. So basically check for warp and try to take no more than a 5 cut (0.005")?

This would be simple for you to figure out then.

How much material can you cut off the block before the piston will be colliding with the head with a 2mm head gasket?