7m-ge to 7m-gte upgrade

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
A while ago, I seen a FAQ or a sticky about what all it takes to upgrade from a 7m-ge to a 7m-gte; and now I can't find that information. I've searched on here and on supraforums.com, and I know that this has been discussed many times; but now I'm having a brain fart, and can't find the thread I'm looking for.

Does anyone know where the thread is that tells you everything you need to perform this upgrade? If it helps, my car is a '86.5 and the engine that I'm putting in is a pre '89; so wiring should be relativity easy. The engine I'm buying is complete from the intercooler in the front, and includes everything from all sensors to wiring and engine computer.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of that I may need to change is my tachometer to read the signal from the new engine; but I can't recall if I need to change out any of the wiring to the cluster.

If any of you know where that thread is that I'm looking for, I'd be ever so grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
deabionni;909324 said:
A while ago, I seen a FAQ or a sticky about what all it takes to upgrade from a 7m-ge to a 7m-gte; and now I can't find that information. I've searched on here and on supraforums.com, and I know that this has been discussed many times; but now I'm having a brain fart, and can't find the thread I'm looking for.

Does anyone know where the thread is that tells you everything you need to perform this upgrade? If it helps, my car is a '86.5 and the engine that I'm putting in is a pre '89; so wiring should be relativity easy. The engine I'm buying is complete from the intercooler in the front, and includes everything from all sensors to wiring and engine computer.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of that I may need to change is my tachometer to read the signal from the new engine; but I can't recall if I need to change out any of the wiring to the cluster.

If any of you know where that thread is that I'm looking for, I'd be ever so grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Try this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34560

It's the sticky in the N/A Section.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
One other question...

I'm going from a GE/auto to a GTE/auto. The GTE I bought originally came with a 5 speed. I already purchased a GTE/auto ECM, but I looked at the wiring harness on the GTE engine; and it doesn't have the plugs for the auto tranny.

I'm a bit strapped for cash right now, so buying another harness is not really an option. Is there anything I can do with the two harnesses that I already have to have the GTE harness accept the auto; or am I stuck waiting till I can afford another harness to finish this swap?

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I looked at the two harnesses, and it looks like the turbo harness is missing the plugs for the auto transmission. The N/A harness appears like all it's missing is the plugs for the igniter.

Is that the only difference?

If so, how hard would it be to incorporate the plugs I need from one harness into the other?

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Just do what Dan suggested... I am using an auto harness with a manual ecu and manual transmission without any issues (I had to jumper the nuetral safety switch though)... other than that it worked fine... so find somebody that has an auto and is swapping to 5spd and trade them harnesses.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
deabionni;947715 said:
I looked at the two harnesses, and it looks like the turbo harness is missing the plugs for the auto transmission. The N/A harness appears like all it's missing is the plugs for the igniter.

Is that the only difference?

If so, how hard would it be to incorporate the plugs I need from one harness into the other?

Just get an auto harness and call it good. It may take some time to find a good harness but would be better than trying to wire in plugs for your auto. You are also going to need a different throttle body. They are different for auto and manual. I just finished my swap. I have an 86.5 and put an 87 GTE into it. I'll be happy to answer any questions for you, just send me a PM.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I was afraid the throttle bodies would be different, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Thanks for the advice about trying to trade harnesses with somebody. Hopefully I'll get lucky.