7M-GE Rebuilt Reliability?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Ok i want everyone to tell me what you think about this situation or opportunity (whatever you wanna call it). Ok so me and a friend are seriously considering trading his POS Saturn ION for an 89' Supra n/a with a rebuilt 7m-ge engine. It needs a new crank because the crank pulley came loose from the key being bad and incorrect torque on the bolt. We want to trade the ION and $1,200 to get the engine fixed. Should we do this? It needs a crank, a key, an a/c compressor for convenience and that's about it. It's in good shape other than tyical wear and tear on the steering wheel and seats etc... If we get the crankshaft repaired and the whole engine will be rebuilt. How reliable is the 7m-ge? Has anyone had their 7m-ge run for a long time after a rebuild? What things should we be Sure to replace while we rebuild it?

THANKS PLEASE HELP

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
chris89;1106543 said:
Ok i want everyone to tell me what you think about this situation or opportunity (whatever you wanna call it). Ok so me and a friend are seriously considering trading his POS Saturn ION for an 89' Supra n/a with a rebuilt 7m-ge engine. It needs a new crank because the crank pulley came loose from the key being bad and incorrect torque on the bolt. We want to trade the ION and $1,200 to get the engine fixed. Should we do this? It needs a crank, a key, an a/c compressor for convenience and that's about it. It's in good shape other than tyical wear and tear on the steering wheel and seats etc... If we get the crankshaft repaired and the whole engine will be rebuilt. How reliable is the 7m-ge? Has anyone had their 7m-ge run for a long time after a rebuild? What things should we be Sure to replace while we rebuild it?

THANKS PLEASE HELP
Reliablity is going to be dependant on a lot of things, starting with who rebuilt it.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The "reliability" of any rebuilt engine is only as good as the shop that does the work, and the "reliability" of the owner to maintain it correctly. The downfall is usually in the second part of that statement.

My 7mge has 212,000+ miles on it, with a head gasket job at around 150k. If you take care of it, it wil take care of you ;)