7m cylinder head

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I'm going to start a small rebuild and I have 3 cylinder heads. I bought 2 engines for 100 bucks. now I need to know how can I tell if the heads been resurfaced? Hopefully someone can help answer my question. Thanks

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Yeah, I know that. I have done that to my non turbo last year. But I want to save the money by finding out if one of the heads been resurfaced already. The guy that I bought it from said one has been rebuilt and the other needs a new head gasket. But I wanna be sure myself before I take one in.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Before you spend any money on those heads, be sure to get them checked for hardness. Also, the exhaust studs. There are various ways to repair that. Some better than others.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
So how do I check for hardness? Im aware of the exhaust stripped bolts already. I'm ordering the exhaust stud kit from driftmotion.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Also check for warpage with a straight edge. I recently bought a rebuilt head, surfaced for a mhg that was warped 40 thou on the bottom and close to an eighth of an inch on the top.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
tyang82;1799912 said:
So how do I check for hardness? Im aware of the exhaust stripped bolts already. I'm ordering the exhaust stud kit from driftmotion.

Machine shop should be able to test the hardness for you.

Check the top to see if it's warped as well, cams don't bend well ;)