7M 2J parts interchange

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Mods, If this is in the wrong section, I am sorry; please move as seen fit.

Just wanted to put this out there for any one that may be in my shoes during a 2J swap.
The motor I purchased was far from a jewel and needed almost everything replaced.

The alternator was actually seized and the a/c clutch was swollen from being soaked in oil for years.

The alternator was torn down and cleaned and reassembled. This allowed it to at least spin. Took it to the parts store for bench testing and came back with a bad voltage regulator.
Reman alternator is $180 or new voltage regulator is $130 (these are my prices with a commercial account, retail is a bit higher)
I'm not able to drop the extra money for a reman alternator.
A/C clutch is not available as a seperate unit from the compressor. So reman compressor was about $375

Long story short here is what I found and confirmed:

A/C clutch (at least the front most section) is a direct swap between my 87T and the 2J (95 SC300)
The voltage regulator is also a direct swap between my 87T and the 2J (95 SC300)
The voltage regulator, both of them, were the round style. I'm not sure if different plug styles will interchange.

I just wanted to post this as a helpful hint to the community...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Thank you.

I have listed the voltage regulator/round plug as interchangeable parts in the JZ thread but thanks for the A/C clutch info. I will update it once you verify that it is working.