7 years with the 7MGTE...Hello

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums, but no stranger to the joys and pains of owning a supra. I purchased my first supra over 7 years ago. The turbo needed rebuild when I bought the car so I sent it out and had it upgraded at a shop in Texas. With a little research I soon added a 3" exhaust, my rebuilt turbo, and an HKS intake to the stock setup. Since I hadn't worked on cars much prior to that (other than oil/brakes) I was proud of myself. Then a few months went by and I fell victim to the notorious BHG. :3d_frown: It was then that I realised just how little I really knew. I began searching the net for info on what to do in various forums. I was told by my old boss that his brother was great at working on cars and turned mine over to him...bad idea. Long story short the guy only knew classics and muscle cars so when I got my ride back I had a shorted out knock sensor (Dr. Jonez found/fixed) and too much surface removed from the deck and head leading to some beautifully chewed up pistons even with a 2mm HG. That was close to $2k down the drain in parts and labor.

At that point it was either give up or start over. Everyone I knew kept telling me to get rid of the car. I was stubborn and chose to not let this get me down. So I bought a JDM engine from SOKO, ARP hardware, and found a reputable shop. I kept bugging Dr. J for advice (thanks for putting up w/ me) as I didn't want any problems the second time around. Everything went smooth and in no time she was back on the road. I immediately took the car to Dr. J for an inspection and an install of my Greddy TT. He set it up and found a couple of vac leaks in need of attention. With his help the TT went in along with my SAFC II shortly after. Most of the work done on this car since has been either by him or by me at his shop with some good mentoring.

Many mods later and broke down once again with more mods on the way I say "Hello". I used to post on the other forums as Litmus or djlitmus, but it's been so long since I've been to them I had to create new accounts.

My car as of now...
JDM 7MGTE, HKS MHG, ARP Hardware, AEM adj. Cam Gears, Magnacore Wires, HKS Intake, SP61GT Turbo, BIC DDP, HKS Dragger Exhaust, SPEC Stage III Clutch, ApexI S-AFC II, Greddy TT, A Pillar pod w/ EGT, Boost, and Water Temp, RC 550's, Powerslot Rotors w Goodridge SS lines...engine management, IC/Pipes and more to be ordered/installed within 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Welcome! I love reading warm welcoming stories like that. ;)

Good to know we've got another patriotic and hardcore A70 owner out there (and not too far away at that).

What kind of EMS are you running?

-Jeff

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
Well, The 550's just arrived and haven't been installed yet. All I currently have is the SAFC tuned by the Doc. I started getting the engine code for "Short to AFM" and decided its time for more upgrades. I think I'm going to go w/ the maft pro. Sounds like that's what most are using with good results. Honestly, I didn't know jack about EM until I found these forums a couple days ago. I've spent the last couple days reading all about it here. Looks like I just missed a GB on various maft pro setups.

I'm shooting for around 500rwhp. I will dyno and post some pics once everything is complete.

BTW this site is very well organized and informative! I'm glad I found it.

Last edited: