550cc injector capability

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
I've read a couple of threads, looked through all the dyno charts, and called a couple of shops. Here is my understanding...... (the following is based on the assumption that the motor can get enough fuel from the fuel pump)....
550cc injectors (on a 6 cylinder) have been said to flow about 550 crank hp

Can 550cc injectors flow about 475 whp?

I am interested in purchasing a mkIII again, and the car is currently set-up with 550cc injectors and a lex/afm controlled through an apex-i safc. The car has dynoed 442whp with a built motor, bc stg 2 cams, and turbonetics bolt-on 60-1. The turbo (in-car boost gauge) is indicating 16psi (however, the dyno read 14 psi). Either way, the turbo is safe for another 2-3 psi if it can get enough fuel (on pump gas). Since this is not a stock motor, and is obviously pretty efficient (with the cams, a good fresh engine, good intake and exhaust), will these injectors be on the ragged edge if pushed another 2-3 psi?

Thanks,
Jorgen

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
after doing some calculations......to get 475 BHP and using a BSFC of .65 as well as running the injectors at 80% duty cycle, you are looking at exactly 675.39cc/min! So to answer your question.....when the car dynoed at 442 whp it was at the ragged edge. Better safe than sorry! I know i will be upgrading. Thanks for the link jdub!

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
At the current HP (442), he's running the 550's at 90% duty cycle with 45 psi FP. That is already beyond the safe 80% duty cycle limit, and it's on higher FP than you should be running ;)

Lose an injector or if it cuts flow (at all), that piston is toast in about 5 milliseconds.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Thanks for the links and help. Now comes the difficult decisions.

1. Do I still get the car?
2. Do I turn down the hp (booooooooo)?
3. Do I turn up the fuel pressure as a band-aid?
4. Do I get larger injectors, and then run a bad timing map?
5. Do I get a stand alone ecu, and larger injectors ($$$$$$)?

Thanks again for the answers, looks like I have plenty of thinking to do.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gilberjj;1246294 said:
Thanks for the links and help. Now comes the difficult decisions.

gilberjj said:
1. Do I still get the car?
That is YOUR call ;)

gilberjj said:
2. Do I turn down the hp (booooooooo)?
With the current 550 injectors and no changes...it would be a good idea.

gilberjj said:
3. Do I turn up the fuel pressure as a band-aid?
Pretty sure that has already happened. Assuming the dyno numbers were correct, you are already maxed out on those injectors at a higher FP.

gilberjj said:
4. Do I get larger injectors, and then run a bad timing map?
If you want to keep the current set-up/HP, that would be a very good idea. I wouldn't say "bad timing map"...it's the stock timing you are dealing with. It's near max on that too.

gilberjj said:
5. Do I get a stand alone ecu, and larger injectors ($$$$$$)?
If you want to push HP levels above what they are now, it's pretty much going to be required. That is if you want to keep this motor.

gilberjj said:
Thanks again for the answers, looks like I have plenty of thinking to do.
Yes you do ;)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i think this is a case of theory vs practice.

ive done the calculations, i understand that the safe limit for 550cc injectors on our motors should be ~400hp but people time and time again can push it past that mark and still have tons of room to lean it out.

what really needs to be done, is look at the guys with 550s and see what their duty cycle is at whatever power level they are at.