500hp build

ozzyddawson

Nov 9, 2015
stokesdale
I am very curious on peoples input about a 500whp goal on a 7mgte.. i have read a million and one threads on both supraforums and supramania and havent really got the answer is was looking for. So curious to see what your guys suggestions are. And no i do NOT want to go to a jz motor.. i want the 7m.. with that being said here is my list of parts i have currently and some parts i am looking for...

I have a freshly machined serviced and cleaned block and head..
What i have:
255walbro fuel pump
550s
Hks vpc
Stock ct26
Acl rod and main bearings
Arp head and mains
.40 over throttle body plate
Stock w58
Aem wideband
Mbc not sure exactly what kind
Autometer guages
Metal headgasket
3in divorced dp
3in rabid chimp intercooler piping
3in catback exhaust
Big fmic not sure what the exact measurments are
Stock head just had valve job... idk if i need to do anything to the head though.
I may have a few other things but went mind blank

Things im looking for:
R154
Uprgraded ct26... not sure if i should go 57mm or 61..
Currently looking for wiseco pistons and eagle rods.

If there is anything you would change or add please let me know. Thank you.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Biggest thing I see is that your going to need more turbo. An upgraded CT won't get you to 500. If you want to stay bolt on look for an sp or boss or go T4. Also read up on the vpc as much as you can. 500 is no trivial number to hit reliably with a piggyback. The way is also going to be a limiting factor, 350 seems to be the consensus on their limit

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm currently doing a 500whp build. Here's my input based on my research thus far:

1. Bigger injectors. Out of 40 or so dyno figures posted on SMs HP list and a few other sources, only 3 hit 500+ whp on 550s. Give yourself some headroom and get something bigger.
2. Turbo. Out of my long list of dyno #'s and mods, the highest CT-26 numbers were 431 from wardog on a 60 or 60-1 trim.
3. A better ECU system would probably be worthwhile as well. I'm not too familiar with the VPC, but I think you can get a lot more functionality with a different system.
4. The W58 will be a liability around that power level. Mine held great for years at around 300whp, but I wouldn't push it too much further. I made sure to get an R154 for my 500whp build. ;)

ozzyddawson

Nov 9, 2015
stokesdale
Thank you guys so much alot of people have been telling me to go with the 6262 for the turbo and i think my first thing to work on is getting a transmission i know id be limited at 350 or so and i dont wanna chance it. After that i plan on switching to 770. The problem is i cant find anything out about the hks vpc. I just heard word of mouth is its better then the lexus afm and that its a more reliable way its just old and not done anymore. Thank you guys for all the advice. It really helps

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
all the hks vpc does is remove the afm and convert to a map system. its benefits are you can run a large 4" intake and vent the blow off valve to atmosphere. you still need an afc to adjust fuel. its pretty old school but it works people have had some fast cars on this set up making a lot of hp especially the mk4 supras. a standalone is nice but much more of a pita and expensive. finding a good tuner isn't easy too depending on location.

i found if you remove the screw on the afm and pair it with 750cc injectors it runs perfect. it raises fuel cut to who know hows high lol but i've went 131mph so far not hitting it yet pulling around 20% fuel. you need a turbo that flows 75lbs a min or more though or else you'll run too rich under boost. looking to make around 700whp on race gas on the 7m ecu and trap 135+ this next season. it can be done. ive had great success AND reliability with the combo.

cause im nice ill post it on hear. the easiest way to 500whp in a mk3 is....

lex/750's/walbro450/afc/sp bolt on 6262/afpr/fmic/fullexhuast/intake boom done

hard part is keeping the 7m alive :rofl:

ozzyddawson

Nov 9, 2015
stokesdale
I got a afc. Ive heard from a few different people that the hks vpc is a great thing. I just dont know alot about it and cant find anywhere to find info on it

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
black89t, do you need the afc to trim a little fuel in open loop while boosting? When you say it runs perfect are you referring to closed loop operation? Please make a thread about your crude tuning. You don't have to run it full tilt to 700rwhp do you? run can run less boost and tune it with the afc right?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
ozzyddawson;2085379 said:
I got a afc. Ive heard from a few different people that the hks vpc is a great thing. I just dont know alot about it and cant find anywhere to find info on it

there isn't much to know. you basically set it then leave it alone. its not used for tuning as far as i know. theres a lot about it all on sf all the post are really old though lol

Suprapowaz!(2);2085388 said:
black89t, do you need the afc to trim a little fuel in open loop while boosting? When you say it runs perfect are you referring to closed loop operation? Please make a thread about your crude tuning. You don't have to run it full tilt to 700rwhp do you? run can run less boost and tune it with the afc right?

in open loop yes im pulling fuel. i prefer to adjust fuel pressure accordingly so i'm always pulling fuel. it gives it a little more timing and if the afc has an issue it will go richer instead of lean when adding fuel. in closed loop low throttle and idle i have zero adjustments. it actually runs smoother and idles better with the 750's and afm screw removed then with the screw in and 550's. before it would want to idle lean and cruise lean.

you can run what ever boost level you want to a point. with my turbo it flows 75lbs/min and my wastegate spring is 1 bar about 14-15psi. thats about as low as i can go or else i have to pull too much fuel to get it a good a/f ratio on pump gas. thats with fuel pressure near the min of oem spec too so cant go leaner with fuel pressure. i like to keep it around 10% maybe a little more say 15% max on pump. i have 3 boost setting on my car. waste gate pressure which is 14-15psi, 18ish psi, and then was running 30psi fading to 26psi when i went 131mph. the first two i run the same setting on the afc those are what i run on pump gas. on the 2nd map on my safc2 i have the settings for 30psi pulling around 20% fuel plus or minus a little. that i only use with 110 race gas. i only ran it that high the last drags and need to fix the boost fade issue because on lower boost its very consistent. thinking the wastegate spring is too soft and getting blow open.

if you look at my posts on sf i have more details about my setup :biglaugh: